MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini cooper s, oil light and rattle help.

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  adamw96 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a late 2006 mini coopers S R56. when my revs are on idle the oil warning light comes on. the oil is full on the dipstick and no leaks that I can see. also there is now a rattle to the left of the engine where the timing chain is. the timing chain was changed 1000 miles ago. the car has done 95,000 miles. also today the battery light has also come on in Red. has anyone experienced this before? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Problem solved it was a snapped alternator belt, when driving battery died bit scary, abs failure, power steering failure the steering lock came on . luckily was only going walking pace as was pulling up. don't know how much this will cost to fix?

#6 ·
buy a new cylinder head plus cams the cam carrier at the exhaust vanos (sprocket on ex cam ) has worn and the seal which is metal on metal has worn you probably have fault code p0015 over rotation of camshaft or bmw code 2845 vanos actuator movement bad design makes the metal seal on cam carrier and cylinder head leak oil before oil pressure builds up as these engines use a lot of oil 1 litre per 500.1000 miles the cam wears the alloy on the head and cam cap only fix is a new head no need to replace vanos sprockets timing chain needs replaced as constant wear streaches it most of that is due to defective tensioner ( upgrade now available ) dont buy parts from BMW go to peugeot dealer thier vvti 1.4 1.6 on 207 is same crap engine but parts are 1 10th of bmw (ie complete timing kit including chain tensioner sprockets oil seal bottom crank sprocket bolts £226 inc vat. local friendly dealer) Timing tools on ebay 55.99 if you need them. solenoids inlet exhaust mostly need cleened you will fin a bit of swarf or oil gum if servicing has be poor, swap them over to find if one of them is faulty fault code will change as will cam sensors, but back to first line if the cam carrier is leaking and not holdin pressure sell it or dig deep if under warrenty get rid reject car take mileage penalty and tell ALL your friends nice to look at but stay away. hope i havent Scared anyone

#15 ·
It was the first thing that came on, unless as I was loosing electric power it was just an electrical issue or when I get it fixed tomorrow there is another issue?

So many lights came on before it died, ABS, Power Steering, a ramp with a car on it, then worryingly the auto steering lock. Luckily I was just pulling up!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.