MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini cooper S 2012 R56 Brake Caliper mounting bolts

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Richard of the Hills 
#1 ·
Hello:

Good day, I would like to know if everytime I change my brake pads on my mini cooper S R56 I need to change the 4 Brake caliper brake mounting bolts. This bolts are micro encapuslated, connected to the guided bolts and somehow blue at the bottom

The thing is that I bought new pads but the box only contained 2 of this bolts So I changed the top bolt from each caliper and the bottom bolt is the old one.

Thank for your reply.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't pull the caliper mounting bolts to replace the front brake pads, only remove the guide bolt from the bottom of the caliper, then tilt the caliper upwards. I would say that the 2 bolts you received are replacement guide bolts, not caliper mounting bolts. The blue substance is Loctite so that the bolts don't come loose. The attachment is an extract from the Service Manual.

Attachments

#3 ·
Yep, what he says. Here is the BMW-approved method for swinging the callipers out of the way after undoing only one bolt.

If you need to get the discs off, this isn't any help, as you have to undo the bolts that hold the calliper bracket to the hub, but the 'swing' method does explain why there were only two coated bolts.

Attachments

#4 ·
is that an oem pad set? I dont recall ever getting new screws or other hardware included with a pad set.
I cant imagine why you'd replace those as a matter of course. It almost seems they do that to save the mechanic the trouble of putting loctite on.

#7 ·
Whatever you do (or don't do) ALWAYS use a dab of Locktite (or similar) when servicing the brakes. I had the right rear caliper FALL OFF my R56, the only reason it did not drag along on the road was that there was not quite enough room between the brake rotor and the wheel. It did score the wheel and the pads were ruined. I had only bought it a few weeks earlier and the previous owner (or wherever they took it to be serviced) had not locktited the bolts, they shook loose and fell out. First thing I noticed was the noise, followed by a long brake pedal. Be Warned!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.