MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 automatic transmission filter

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  David Mc 
#1 ·
Hello everybody, I have a 2010 Cooper S and I'm wanting to change the automatic transmission filter and fluid. I have seen a lot of fluid change guides but I havn't seen any postings on how change the filter. My Mini has 71k miles on it. Anybody have pics and guidance?

#2 ·
Depending on where you are and whether your car has the N18 or earlier engine, there may be a fluid filter kit listed (check part number 24152361176). The procedure looks straightforward enough but there are a couple of torx fasteners (including the filler plug). Of course, unless you are keen to experience 3rd degree burns, the transmission and fluid should be cold before servicing is commenced. As with other BMW auto's critical points are:-
1. Cleanliness
2. Cleanliness
3. Once you have the oil pan off the transmission, clean the crud off the magnets in the bottom of the oil pan and make sure the oil pan itself is as clean as a whistle before being refitted.
4. Use a torque wrench to correctly tighten everything when putting it all back together, ensuring the sump tube is refitted as per specs.
5. Follow the recommended procedure for refilling the transmission with the correct fluid (this involves filling the filler to the overflow point, then a specific sequence of shifting the selector lever with the engine running to ensure the transmission is properly filled. The final level check is done with the transmission warm (I use a non-contact infrared thermometer used with model aero engines to ensure temp is correct) - the fluid level is correct when it is flowing out of the filler plug.
6. Cleanliness

This is just an outline of the procedure, which is fully documented in BMW TIS (also incorporated in Rheingold ISTA/D). The outline of the servicing procedure given in at least one aftermarket manual does not specify the procedure for refilling the transmission, which if not followed is highly likely to result in transmission damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.