MINI Cooper Forum banner

Burning smell, smoke after idle

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Greenranger 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have a R56 Cooper S N14 with a little problemo
The car itself runs perfect, no fault codes etc. turbo kicks in and the car flies as expected, no whine no hesitation, it's the dream N14 however:

At idle I get a smell of burnt oil through my vents, hit recirculate and it's gone.
After a long idle around 10mins on take off I throw out a plume of blue smoke for a minute and then back to normal.

Just had an oil leak on the turbo replaced, replaced the valve cover gasket also. The oil I check and change religiously and there's no noticeable loss other than the expected.

So I'm at a bit of a loose end as to what the problem is, could it be the PCV, should I just replace the unit all together or could it be the turbo that needs replacing?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I know the N14 is a SOB but other than this issue its been a beaut

#7 ·
Just an update to anyone interested or having similar issues.
All is fixed. Fitted the updated valve cover with the new pcv.
Also the valve stem seals needed replacing and finally a new turbo and all is good again, well actually it's better than ever! Another perk of the new valve cover is the oil consumption is literally zero

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.