MINI Cooper Forum banner

second day of car ownership... disaster!

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  k3fus 
#1 ·
Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out here!

I brought home my r56 Cooper S (n14) yesterday and have been loving it, it really is great fun to drive.

I walked out to it a moment ago with the intention of taking it for a ride and as soon as I started there was a strong smell of petrol I thought. So I got out of the car and decided to look underneath.

As I looked under the engine, there was just a flood of liquid pouring out until I turned the engine off. I checked the dip stick and there is still plenty of oil in there. I then turned the car on again to see if I had run out of fuel but it's still showing the same level? When I did turn it on to check the levels, I noticed that it started flooding out again and then the engine just shut itself down.

It's pretty worrying seeing as it's my second day having the car! I'm not a mechanic so I don't really know what's caused it. All I know is that the HPFP was replaced yesterday - could that have something to do with it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated guys!

See less See more
#4 ·
Well it's best you have a mechanic check it over then. If you can smell and see petrol then I'd advise you not to drive it. It could be something as simple as a fuel pipe has come off or its split but if your not mechanically minded then your better leaving it to someone who is.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Its quite possible buddy, extra pressure can find any weakness in pipes or like I say it may have simply popped a pipe off but were dealing with fuel here and its explosive stuff so if you have no mechanical knowledge then leave it to the experts as the last thing you want to do is turn in to a fireball!

#7 ·
Little update!

The pipe going from the HPFP that clips in is basically popping out when the car is being pushed hard. It was strange that it happened on a startup but once it was put back in, it started up properly and ran fine under normal driving. Once I stopped and saw that it was still in place, I ran it a bit harder and it was still all good!

... Then I accidently hit the limiter (still getting used to low revving) and off it popped.

So I now know what the problem is! It's now driveable but I think I might leave it until I can get somebody to come and sort it out. Cheers for the advice! I'll keep you posted!

#13 ·
Haha don't worry, I know full well that petrol is extremely flammable :p that's why I said that I didn't want to drive it! It's all sorted now anyway. It turns out that the mechanic that fit the new HPFP messed up and the clip keeping the pipe secure had broken. So yeah, whenever it was put under pressure, it wasn't able to hold itself on. GG! Pretty lucky it happened when the vehicle was standing really!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.