MINI Cooper Forum banner

First time Mini Owner. Not going great so far..

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  CCroker 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.

Just bought my first Mini 3 weeks ago...2008 model. After two weeks of driving a loud low pitch whistle started coming from the engine and immediately my check engine light came on. This is also the first vehicle I've owned with a turbocharger...and assumed this noise may have been coming from the turbo. Turns out the compressor sucked in the seal for the air intake/compressor inlet joint. The rubber seal was cracked in half when it was pulled out of the compressor so I'm assuming it wore down over time and got sucked in. To summarize, the compressor is destroyed. From what I've research on this forum this has happened before but seems like a one in a million chance. Does anybody know what would cause this to happen? Im guessing the previous owner had removed all the intake components at one time and maybe did not correctly fit the intake back on the compressor inlet lip correctly. Also, has anyone sold or traded in their used turbo core for a decent sum of cash?

#2 ·
Age and mileage can take it's toll, along with how a driver has run the vehicle. Might have been heated and finally gave up the ghost. Man made articles are always guaranteed of breaking down and usually out of warranty. If in US may get it covered under emissions warranty, but doubt it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.