MINI Cooper Forum banner

07' Mini Cooper S Clicking noise

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnnyC 
#1 ·
Helle everyone!

I'm considering buying a manual 2007 Mini Cooper S, so me and my boyfriends brother(who's licensed to work on cars, works at a dealership and has been trained to appraise cars) went to test drive it. There was a little clicking noise when it was in idle. We drove it and took it on the freeway and as soon as we hit 60mph the check engine light came on. It still ran fine and it didn't feel like anything was wrong, no power loss or anything. When we parked, you could hear the clicking noise more clearly but it calmed down after a little bit. He said he's not sure what it is, but he thinks it might be an exhaust valve. I'm planning on taking it to a shop to have it checked before I buy it and see what's wrong with it but I just wanted to be a little informed before I go in. Any one else have a problem like this or know what it might be? I really wanna get this mini, but I can only do it if it's feasible.

#2 ·
The n14 engine is renounced for many issues the timing chain guide rails being one of them.

I personally wouldn't touch a gen 2 mini if you paid me.

Carbon coking

Timing chain guide rails failing which is guaranteed

Excessive oil consumption

Oil pump failure on cars over 100k

The list goes on [emoji33] [emoji4]

If you want a reliable tough mini get a gen 1 r53 2002-2006

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The n14 engine is renounced for many issues the timing chain guide rails being one of them.

I personally wouldn't touch a gen 2 mini if you paid me ....
Agree regarding N14 engine .... We had one and although it was fine for us we got rid after 3yrs because of the issues you quote, however the N18 engine is ok. We have had an MCS with the N!8 for 3yrs without issues and is likely to be a keeper for the foreseeable. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.