MINI Cooper Forum banner

Whistle type Noise and Blue Smoke

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  freck99 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2008 Mini Cooper S R56 N14 Turbo. 100k Miles

First issue, I have blue smoke after long Idle. I have taking it to a cert. shop and they said that it could possibly be the valve cover might be worn and its allowing to much oil through from crankcase. Any Ideas? I have heard that the down pipe and turbo could be the issue (from other forums)

Second Issue, I have a whistle type noise (I believe its the front left side, but its hard to tell). It starts making the noise when I am around 30-50 mph 4th - 6th gear and just pressing the gas peddle (cruise press), anything more it does not make the noise. Its louder on cold humid conditions, but not as loud on other days. Shop said it could be trans, since fluid was dirty but clean(no particles). Fluid was changed but noise stayed. It is really annoying and cannot find any shop that can find what it is. Any one know or have an idea?

Third Issue, I recently started hearing a clicking noise coming from the back side of the engine. One can hear it more inside the cabin. It goes off when car is warm (not aways does it do it) Most of the time it clicks when I accelerate. Some forums say it could be fuel injectors. The mechanic could not distinguish it from other sounds the engine makes. I know that it not normal because I can remember when the car never made so much noise.

Any idea?
I have changed out: Water pump, water pipe, thermostat housing, trans fluid, and high pressure fuel pump.
Oil being used: Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 5w-30
There is no check engine light, car runs great besides the noises and smoke every now and then. I have ran the car to prevent build up in engine/intake man.

See less See more
#2 ·
9/10 it's your turbo, how do you drive your car. Sporty? You always have to cool down your turbo after a drive by letting the engine idle for a while. If you directly stops your engine you could burn oil at the bearing of the turbo. Ending up with no oil cooling and damaging your turbo bearing. Replace the turbo and clean out the oil line from the engine block to the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2008 Mini Cooper S R56 N14 Turbo. 100k Miles

First issue, I have blue smoke after long Idle. I have taking it to a cert. shop and they said that it could possibly be the valve cover might be worn and its allowing to much oil through from crankcase. Any Ideas? I have heard that the down pipe and turbo could be the issue (from other forums)

Second Issue, I have a whistle type noise (I believe its the front left side, but its hard to tell). It starts making the noise when I am around 30-50 mph 4th - 6th gear and just pressing the gas peddle (cruise press), anything more it does not make the noise. Its louder on cold humid conditions, but not as loud on other days. Shop said it could be trans, since fluid was dirty but clean(no particles). Fluid was changed but noise stayed. It is really annoying and cannot find any shop that can find what it is. Any one know or have an idea?

^^^^ ive never seen this much shyte come out of a mechanics mouth ever!!

i advise you never take you car there again :serious:

#7 ·
All of those are symptoms of a failing turbo except the tick as far as i know the shaft begins to wobble/loosen and the seals go allowing oil into the turbo and then engine(blue smoke) and could make some noise which would be more noticeable cold because the air is more dense when cold so turbos may seem louder and actually tend to work better

#8 ·
all the signs of turbo failing, also the tinkle sounds worth checking timing chain if car has been driven and pushed hard with timing out this will over heat components link valve stem seals and turbo seals etc,,if any fault codes with misfire on bank 1 or bank 2 or cps out of range implausible i have found tchain to be out of spec. if just turbo fail check oil pressure as have seen a few cars with low oil pressure take out turbo,, engine needs to be hot when doing this as thin oil behaves differently that cold oil.. tinkle noises i have found the top chain guide to have lost its plastic runner part of worn through,

#9 ·
Hey Everyone

Just an update on my posts for anyone interested or with same issue. I did not change out the turbo (I do not think its worth it for this gen of car), but I did install a catch can system for the PCV. So far I have go rid of the blue smoke and thats about it. At first there was a lot of oil and moisture the can was catching, it was unbelievable.
I Checked it every 100miles, after 3000miles with the cans, less and less oil and moisture showed up in them. I also changed the oil, I went from Mobile 1 to Liqui Molly 5W-30. It has run better and engine feels smoother.

If anyone wants any images of the catch can system I built, let me know I will be glad to send them.

#10 ·
I'd say the blue smoke after a long idle is indicative of hardened valve stem oil seals, and your change of oil to a new, possibly thicker oil is lessening the issue as it won't be passing the seal as easily.
As far as I'm aware, if it was your turbo you'd be more likely to get smoke when on the power, not when idling or setting off.

The noises you have are most likely down to you timing chain and guides, as others have said. A common issue with these engines, and something that is easily done while sorting the oil seals. :big_grin:

How do I know this? Mine is just the same, but has only done 50k miles. ::frown:: I'm just trying to get it fixed under warranty from where I've bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.