MINI Cooper Forum banner

New tyres recommended for Cooper S Hatch

12K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  graigchq 
#1 ·
Hi, so I'm looking to replace my tyres soon on my 2011 cooper s hatch but I'm not sure which ones to go for and wondering if anyone with the same car could recommend any. The tyre code is 205/45 R17 84V. At the same time I'm pretty sure the Bridgestone ones I have on at the minute aren't run flats and I've read and heard a lot of things about run flats and I'm not sure if to replace with run flats or normal tyres. I've come across two tyres so far, one is uniroyal rainsport 3 as they are highly recommended for wet grip and rated A and they are a lot cheaper but they're not run flats. The second are dunlop sport maxx they're rated B in fuel efficiency and wet grip twice the price nearly and again not run flats. I'm just after a safe tyre that suits my driving, not too expensive, good on wet roads and good for braking. I've heard that there isn't much difference between tyres when it comes to fuel efficiency. There's so many to choose from I just wondered what anyone else thought and what tyres you use on your cooper sports? Thanks!

#4 ·
I've no direct experience with Uniroyal Rainsports. I did consider them myself but was put off with reports of a quick wear rate. No point going cheaper if they last half as long.

I normally go with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2/3 or Goodyear Excellence. They tend to do well in the tyre tests, and seem to be quieter than others (69dB).

Whatever you choose, check your current tyres. You don't want a mix of runflat and non runflat. If you choose non runflat, make sure you either carry a space saver or some tyre weld.

#5 ·
I've got the same motor ('11 Cooper S) and had Goodyear Eagle RSA's (run-flats) fitted in Dec '15 - seem to be wearing well and have no complaints about grip. It was these or Dunlops, but after speaking to some folk I think the Dunlops are grippy but quite soft, so wear was an issue for me hence I went for the Goodyears.

I've had Uniroyals before (on a different car) and they were very good.

Reactions: Mini11Blue
#6 ·
Hi first post i know,
I have had rainsports on my last car for years. Anyone that has run them will know they are easily the best wet tyre for the money, arguably the best Tyre for the money. They are good in the dry but not spectacular but somehow they grip more in the wet. my friends dad runs them as his competition wet Tyre on his race car and most other teams in his race series do too

#7 ·
I'm running on hancock v12 tires. Coming from uniroyal rainsport. The uniroyals have great grip on dry and wet but the wear is indeed terrible. These hancock on dry superb but on wet didn't go as far as i dear. Don't want to endup in the decor with my R53. Have lost a bit off confidence on wet conditions with some old chinees tires i had once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Thought i'd bump this thread as i'm in the lookout for new tyres for my 2007 Cooper S and it seems to be the tyre thread most replied too.

My car currently has 17" run flats Dunlop SP Sport 01's all round. While these are apparently one of the quietest tyres around at 67 db, they seem bloody noisy to me. I'm not sure if it's because they are old, (3 tyres only have a couple of mm left and one is on the limit) or its just the nature of the mini. I've only just got the car so i cannot compare them to any other tyres on a mini.

As it's been a couple of years since the last post, does anyone else have any opinions on tyres?

#16 ·
Another 2010 N18 Cooper S owner here with some tyre stories.

Car came (second hand) with a mix of Dunlop Runflats on the front and conti sport contact 3 on the rear (non-RF). I replaced the Dunlops with matching conti 3's when it was up for it's first MOT with me, and replaced all of them with Conti 3 (non-runflat) for another two years (one rear set and twice at the front - i drive 30,000 miles a year).

2017 changed up to 18x7.5" wheels, and had to go with 215/35/18 to fit the arches with no rub - and settled on the GoodYear Eagle F1s. These were a marked improvement over the roadholding of the Contis when you really push for any extended period, especially up in the cold mountains in the south of France. Year 1 was on Conti's next year same roads with Goodyears, and with same tune, same suspension and same everything else, I was pushing much harder, with much more confidence. Only downsides, they wore VERY quickly and when it is wet, I felt it, Conti's didn't care wet or dry. Goodyears gave me about 6,000 miles on the fronts, with the rears only giving me about 10,000 miles.

Next decided to change again. For the track, I have my original R104 wheels (17x7") with Toyo TR-1s, and the daily 18" with Nankang NS-2 directional. While I was skeptical about the Nankangs due to them being HALF the price of the Goodyears, I was strangely surprised. In the wet, they aren't as confidence-inspiring, but wear rate is much better, and even those same French roads, I didn't feel any less confident than I was with the Goodyears, and still markedly better than the Contis. I'm a big fan of these Nankangs, 9,000 miles in and still have 3.5mm on the fronts and 5mm on the rear, meaning they are a quarter of the price of the Goodyears with wear factored in. Toyos... forget them. Was such a waste of money. Some BMW-driving yoik said they were the best thing since sliced bread, but I've had overheating issues and in the wet they're dangerous. So much so that the last fast driving I've done has been exclusively on the Nankangs. I may be selling my OEM 17" wheels as there's no point in them now!

Overall and from my own experience:

Best all rounder: Continental SportContact 3. (yes, for an all rounder, including wet driving, these are the best - hence being the OEM tyre for these cars - but are very expensive)
Best fast road tyre: GoodYear Eagle F1 (expensive, but worth it if money isn't an issue)
Best Summer tyre for daily driver: Nankang NS-2 (as good as the Goodyear day to day and when occasionally pushed, but way better wear rates)
Would avoid: Toyo Proxes TR-1 (don't listen to yoiks..)

Hope this helps someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.