MINI Cooper Forum banner

White smoke after long drive.

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  mike1967 
#1 ·
Hello fellow mini owners,

My mini started blowing white smoke from the exhaust after a long drive with the AC on. Stopped the car and let the car cool down and checked coolant level. Thinking it was the head gasket. Coolant level was OK. Started the car again and no smoke appeared again. I also hear wierd knocking sounds from the rear after I stop the car. Any ideas whats wrong?

#2 ·
#3 ·
Update:

Im starting to think its the exhaust valve stem seals. White smoke after a long idle fits the description. However, I am split between the turbo oil seal or the stem seals. As there is absolutely no smoke at startup.
Anyone with ideas how to rule one out?

#4 ·
if turbo best way to know for sure unbolt the cat from it run with no exhaust put hand about 2 inchs away from turbo if turbo will get spots of oil on your hand,, i use this method all the time never been wrong with it yet. if valve stem seals i'm done hundreds of these engines with up to 160k on them and dont suffer from from seals much unless been cooked at some point, more likely turbo see these fail as low as 40k and seen cars with mega mile on first turbo, if turbo need to check oil pressure before fitting a new one, also common mistake some make is to jack engine on the sump when doing a timing chain or engine mount this restricts oil flow that destroys the turbo, also oil filters on those engines must be fitted correctly in to locating hole inside housing this als causes oil issues..
fact no smoke at start up 100% turbo or worth checking positive crankcase breather valve on top of rocker box feeding the turbo oil in air inlet

#6 ·
yes all the turbo unless just replacing the gallery but that needs to be done by some one with the knowledge and a few tools to set back up,, change turbo complete is best way forward, but first need to do those tests to find what is wrong with it, dont guess thats a expensive wrong way of fixing things,

#7 ·
Have a 2010 Cooper S in Florida that after idling with the a/c on for a half-hour or so, starts blowing white smoke when pressing the gas pedal (not moving) > have done most of Mike1967's recommendations (turbo not blowing oil, replaced valve cover gasket, PCV OK (both in the past month), replaced the timing chain and guide and walnut cleaning (20K miles ago)), did not do compression teat, took it to two Mini shops and both said valve stem seals > car has 55,000 miles and no power loss but does consume a quart every couple of thousand miles with no blue smoke and no leaks > using Mobil1 0-40W Euro oil > will install an oil catch can next week > question is, is there an additive I can safely use to treat the valve stem seals?

#9 ·
i would use 5/30w fully synthetic oil on that as well its what i use on all of them, 0/40w prob a tad to thin for my hotter climates

#8 ·

Best Oil Stop Leak Reviews & Recommendations 2020
  • Best Overall. Lucas Oil 10278 Engine Oil Stop Leak. ...
  • Best Value. ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stops Leaks. ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.