NEED HELP 2008 Mini R56 BAD Engine noise 160k - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI Cooper > Second Generation MINI Cooper

Second Generation MINI Cooper MINI Cooper Late 2006 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 05:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:44 AM
United States
NEED HELP 2008 Mini R56 BAD Engine noise 160k

Hello, my mini has 160,000 miles, never had any issues ever!
Now all of a sudden, when you go to start the car it makes a hammering sound while its cranking, once the engine starts its smooth, not making the "diesel" noise of the loose timing chain.(i thought this was the issue)
When its in neutral or park you can rev the engine and its smooth as silk.
When you put it in gear and go to back up or go forward it begins making a popping sound kinda like a ujoint would make.When you begin to drive away it gets loud like the exhaust has a leak at the manifold. It reminds me of when i was young and we would turn our air filter covers upside down on the 360 4 barrel chevy pickup to make it moan when you accelerated. This mini makes that sound as you accelerate away. Heres a clue to someone who knows these cars.
When you stop, put it in reverse and begin to nack up its back to being quiet no pooing or roaring for about 5 seconds then even in reverse the same issues.

The hollow sounding banging while the starter is engages
Popping when you turn the wheel and drive away
Roaring/loud exhaust leak sound when driving
When sitting still in neutral or park rev the engine as high as you want smooth as silk.

Any ideas?

we are going to do this our selves even if we replce the motor or trans, so take it to the dealer isnt an option.....i have a good buddy whos been a mechanic his whole life that will help.

His thoughts: cracked flywheel or flex plate, he asked me if the car has an inspection plate where this can be inspected?

thanks a lot if you can help from your experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:10 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Luxembourg Male
If you want to look at the flywheel you've got to drop the subframe and take out the tranny. There are no inspection plates on these cars (unless the North American versions are different than the European models).

Sounds to me like it's maybe a broken flywheel spring on the DMF.

Can you localize it with a stethoscope or screwdriver touching the engine and one end to your ear? Wondering if it's not coming from the cam chain tensioner or something like that.

What's your oil level and consumption like? What kind of oil have you been putting in?

Last, any problems when driving (i.e. clutch issues of any kind?)

EDIT: Scratch that, re-read and see that it's an automatic. Looks like a flywheel issue but you'll only know once you open it up unless you can better localize the source of the knocking.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 10:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
My mechaninc buddy came by today and agreed the sound mostly heard is a noise like the old days of turning the air breather over on the old 350 chevy engines 4 barrell carbs to make it the motor moan........

He looked for an air leak ...his thoughts was it was sucking air directly in from somewhere it shouldnt be.....howver he found no such leak.

He said the cv joint all were good. said he didnt hear any rattle from the chain. But agreed driving it the motor was pretty loud now......

Any ideas why one gets loud just out of the blue? The loudeness is in front of you when sitting in the car not behind you.

No exhaust leak that can be found...he thought that maybe the engine mounts were worn making the engine rattke noise.

He didnt think the banging that i hear when the starter engages is any big deal......he never heard it before though.

Any help would be appreciated
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:27 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Luxembourg Male
Couple of things I can think of. How's the piping running between the air filter and turbocharger intake? I've got a Cooper D and there's a rubber seal that holds the intake pipe onto the turbo - same kind of setup as the "S" version. It got contaminated with engine oil (the breather vents into the intake piping between the MAF and turbo) and started to slowly slide off. I was getting post-MAF unmetered air drawn in and the engine roared like a jet. I cleaned up and bought a new seal and the engine was back to quiet.

HOWEVER, last time the car was in for an oil and air filter change when I got it back I was hearing a loud exhaust noise up front just like you describe. I stripped off and reinstalled all the intake piping, reseated the air filter, checked the turbo inlet, etc.. etc... and it's still there; roars like a mofo.

I swear it's an exhaust leak or air ingress but I've inspected every inch of the bugger and can't find anything. Car runs fine, so I live with it, but the cabin noise is much more amplified and it's definitely coming from up front. I haven't been able to check the intercooler piping as it's buried down front and I don't have the time to pull apart the front of the car to inspect it (it's my only car). I might ask the stealers to look at it the next time I take it in. Probably it's easier with the car on a lift.

I'm also wondering if maybe it's tied into the fuel metering although I have no idle issues or anything else.

The starter banging is quite weird, shouldn't be doing that.

Quote: Originally Posted by kentuckynet (original)
My mechaninc buddy came by today and agreed the sound mostly heard is a noise like the old days of turning the air breather over on the old 350 chevy engines 4 barrell carbs to make it the motor moan........

He looked for an air leak ...his thoughts was it was sucking air directly in from somewhere it shouldnt be.....howver he found no such leak.

He said the cv joint all were good. said he didnt hear any rattle from the chain. But agreed driving it the motor was pretty loud now......

Any ideas why one gets loud just out of the blue? The loudeness is in front of you when sitting in the car not behind you.

No exhaust leak that can be found...he thought that maybe the engine mounts were worn making the engine rattke noise.

He didnt think the banging that i hear when the starter engages is any big deal......he never heard it before though.

Any help would be appreciated

Old Feb 4th, 2013, 11:22 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
More info 2845 DME Vanos Exhaust Actuator Movement

read many codes tonight, the ones that seemed pertinent

2845 DME Vanos Exhaust Actuator Movement

2C9C DME DME Master Relay

Does this give anoyone any info as to the roar sound im getting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement