MINI Cooper Forum banner

Common MINI Cooper problems??

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  andysaxton 
#1 ·
I'm coming back to the fold!

Well...when I say "I", what I mean is the wife is :)

HOWEVER...not having owned a 2nd gen Cooper (had a 1st gen Cooper, before the gearbox knackered), I was just wondering what the common "look-outs" are when purchasing.

Know about timing belt, but what else? Having done a load of research I'm going to see one in Nottingham on Saturday which is a two and a half hour drive for me, so would like to be informed!

All tips and 'watch-outs' welcome...and I promise not to be one of those members who join, reap the information and general kindness of other members, and then never post again!

Thank you all,

Andy

#2 ·
I'm coming back to the fold!

Well...when I say "I", what I mean is the wife is :)

HOWEVER...not having owned a 2nd gen Cooper (had a 1st gen Cooper, before the gearbox knackered), I was just wondering what the common "look-outs" are when purchasing.

Know about timing belt, but what else? Having done a load of research I'm going to see one in Nottingham on Saturday which is a two and a half hour drive for me, so would like to be informed!

All tips and 'watch-outs' welcome...and I promise not to be one of those members who join, reap the information and general kindness of other members, and then never post again!

Thank you all,

Andy

on the 2nd gen prince engine the timing CHAIN guide rails can wear causing the chain to lossen up ultimately destroying your engine if you dont get it sorted.

also the aisin auto transmission can cause harsh shifting which is attributed to the valve body.

and electric power steering pumps make sure the steering is light and responsive not set in concrete

other than that it should be ok

listen out for a knocking sound when cold and hot this will signify a worn guide rail.

also look for the usual things underbody damage and rust

body dings

faded paint

weird smells:big_grin:

odd handling

you know all the stuff>:D

#3 ·
Cheers for taking the time to reply.

Only looking at manual's, so I can discount that issue, but you have just reminded me that I did also have problems with the power steering pump on the last one which actually meant we had to buy a new pump.

I will be taking a small torch for inspecting underneath the car.

All the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.