LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:52 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mini Y Cable Apple iPhone 6 Lightning USB Cable

Hi All.

I can confirm my 2009 Mini Cooper with factory fitted Satellite Navigation/Entertainment pack (large LCD display in the centre of dashboard). Works with the following:-

BMW Mini 'Y' Adaptor Cable part number: 61122408012
(connections USB + 3.5mm Stereo + Apple Lightning)

Apple iPhone 6 (with Lightning connector)

Also a (black) Lightning extension cable (Female Lightening End to Male Lightening End) Length: 1 meter (39 inches) Price 4.99 Great British Pounds. Purchased off ebay (Free shipping from China) works great. Allows my iPhone 6 to be fitted on the windscreen/wind shield in a cradle (ARKON) and to be connected to the mini Entertainment ports.

With all the above fitted my iPhone 6 music can be controlled by the Mini entertainment interface with artist/albums/songs/play list/ all selectable on the Mini's large LCD centre dash display. Alternatively music can be selected/operated through the iPhone 6 touch screen (which is much quicker and easier than scrolling through the Artist/Album/Song etc. A-Z on the mini's centre dash large LCD screen using the centre console joystick).

Sound quality is perfect, clear and loud.

Note: I have NOT tried connecting for data for the 'Mini Connect' App. I understand the iPhone 6 is not compatible with the Mini Connect app on R56 2009 Mini Coopers.

iPhone 4 users: BMW Mini 'Y' Adaptor Cable part number: 61122338491
(connections USB + 3.5mm Stereo + Apple Lightning) NOTE. I have not tried the iPhone 4 combination).

Hope this is useful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2016, 12:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey Johnny,

I'm also in an 09 with factory fitted Nav/Entertainment Pack (its a Cooper S Conv, not sure if that makes a difference) and I've been searching the forums to find out why the multi-function buttons on my steering wheel don't skip tracks on Apple Music or Spotify.

Whilst looking for a fix to that problem I noticed people saying that their display shows artwork for the relevant track/album being played.

As you're in a car the same age as mine, can you tell me if you have got either of those functions with the set up you're running? If so I'm guessing I'm going to have to pay up for a Y Cable rather than the wireless Bluetooth receiver I'm using now?

Honestly, I'm not at all bothered about the artwork but changing tracks via the steering wheel would be a god send given the amount of hours I spend motorway driving and my reluctance to take my eyes off the road to change tracks any other way.

thank you!
Rebecca

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie_mini View Post
Hey Johnny,

I'm also in an 09 with factory fitted Nav/Entertainment Pack (its a Cooper S Conv, not sure if that makes a difference) and I've been searching the forums to find out why the multi-function buttons on my steering wheel don't skip tracks on Apple Music or Spotify.

Whilst looking for a fix to that problem I noticed people saying that their display shows artwork for the relevant track/album being played.

As you're in a car the same age as mine, can you tell me if you have got either of those functions with the set up you're running? If so I'm guessing I'm going to have to pay up for a Y Cable rather than the wireless Bluetooth receiver I'm using now?

Honestly, I'm not at all bothered about the artwork but changing tracks via the steering wheel would be a god send given the amount of hours I spend motorway driving and my reluctance to take my eyes off the road to change tracks any other way.

thank you!
Rebecca
Hi Rebecca, Good question! I haven't tried the stiring wheel buttons. I'll check them out and get back to you in a day or two. Johnny

Last edited by johnny09; May 30th, 2016 at 04:50 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2016, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Hi Rebecca, Here's the results of using my iPhone 6 connected to my 2009 (R56) Mini Cooper Hatch using a BMW Mini 'Y' Adaptor Cable part number: 61122408012 - 50 + 20% Tax (connections USB + 3.5mm Stereo + Apple Lightning), both with & without using the black Lightning extension cable (Female Lightening End to Male Lightening End) purchased for 4.99 off ebay.

After a couple of hours testing - as far as I can tell, I get complete control of the music player on my iphone 6 via my Mini Cooper's sat nav/entertainment pack controls. The steering wheel buttons, CD Player knob & buttons, centre console joystick all control the phone 6 music player, While at the same time displays the iPhone 6 music choices/playing on my Mini's centre dashboard Large LCD screen.

Steering wheel buttons: arrow up & down buttons = changes the volume up & down. Arrow pointing right = advance to next track/skip track. Arrow pointing left: one press = restart current track form beginning, double quick press = Play from start of previous track. NOTE: holding in either left or right arrow buttons = plays 2 x fast forwards/rewinds the current track.

CD Player/Radio Knob: press in/out pauses the iPhone 6 music playing, twist for volume up & down.
CD Player/Radio Left & right arrow buttons: changes the track as per the steering wheel buttons (described above).

Centre Console Joystick: navigates through the iPhone 6 music listings on the Large centre dashboard LCD screen menus. Choices available (with the iPhone 6 connected) starting from Audio AUX - John's iPhone - Playlists - Genre - Artist - Albums - Songs.

Centre dashboard LCD Display: features an orange colour 'worded list' menu with the category/track chosen turning white in colour when selected. The display does not show iPhone artwork like the artist or album cover. The 2009 Mini Cooper display features a large orange coloured musical beam notes & folder icons. Note: there's a short time lag (a second or so) in the display menu changing track name but once you get use to it, it works fine.

Iphone 6 screen displays changes to which ever is selected by the Mini Cooper controls: Playlists - Genre - Artist - Albums - Songs, pause/play all change on the iPhone screen. NOTE: The iPhone music being played by the Mini Cooper's entertainment pack can alternatively, simultaneously be fully controlled by the iPhone's buttons and touch screen. Though I understand touching any phone to operate even just the music whilst driving (even if stationary) is illegal in the UK, so I don't.

Using the Mini' buttons/joystick to control the iPhone's music in practise: If you have a great many albums/songs on your iPhone (as I do) it can be a mess about difficult/lengthy job finding the album/songs you want to play through the Mini's joystick control. this is due to the A-Z listings of the menu, imagine having 6000 or more songs endlessly twisting the joystick to navigate through them by A-Z!! The easiest way to safely drive and select music is to set up Playlists on your iPhone away from the car. Playlist are easily selected and navigated through. Second best way to navigate is to select Artist-Albums-All as it's quicker/shorter route then Albums or song A-Z searching.

Glitches! Mmm, well I did get the odd glitch. tapping the pause on the iPhone screen only paused the music for like 2 seconds then the music started playing again. (the Mini's CD Player/Radio on/off knob always pauses/plays the iPhone when pressed without a problem).

One time the mini centre bashboard display Screen's menu didn't match the song/album being played from the connected iPhone 6. Another time the Mini's display screen showed a wrong song title when the mini's right arrow/skip steering wheel button was used. Generally I've found that disconnecting/reconnecting the iPhone from the Mini sorts this out. I don't start the car engine with the iPhone connected, I connect up after starting the car.

All in all, I think the BMW Mini 'Y' Adaptor Cable part number: 61122408012 works well and the music sound quality is fantastic, clear, loud & sharp. Once you get use to the A-Z Artist/album etc. menu it's workable. Playlist or Artist selection being the quickest way to search.

The 'Y' Cable mentioned DOES charge the iPhone battery.

I hope this helps everyone who's looking to find out the situation with iPhone 6, BMW Mini 'Y' Cable and the 2009 (R56) Mini Cooper Hatch entertainment pack. Sorry if I've repeated myself - I've 'tried' to take out any ambiguity.

PS. Always ask for 10% discount from the Mini Parts department when buying your 'Y' Cable - I did! They'll always give 10% discount on parts: If you don't ask - you don't get!! Right?

Sorry I haven't mentioned Apple Music or Spotify - I don't use either. All the music on my iPhone is purchased CDs backed up on my laptop based Apple iTunes.

Keep safe everyone.

Johnny

Last edited by johnny09; May 30th, 2016 at 05:13 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Tried Y cable without Nav package?

I just got a 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman S (so fun!) and wanted to know if these Y cables also work with just the standard USB/Aux jack if I don't have the Nav package (no LCD in the center console). I do have the steering wheel controls and when USB and Aux are both plugged in using standard separate cables (male AUX to male AUX and male lightning to male USB) the volume controls work but not the next/previous nor does any info about song title/artist come up on the one-line display in the center console. When I try to go to USB instead of Aux as the audio selection, it just says "Error". Any thoughts?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadLeMon View Post
I just got a 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman S (so fun!) and wanted to know if these Y cables also work with just the standard USB/Aux jack if I don't have the Nav package (no LCD in the center console). I do have the steering wheel controls and when USB and Aux are both plugged in using standard separate cables (male AUX to male AUX and male lightning to male USB) the volume controls work but not the next/previous nor does any info about song title/artist come up on the one-line display in the center console. When I try to go to USB instead of Aux as the audio selection, it just says "Error". Any thoughts?

Hi DadLeMon, Congratulations on getting your Mini Cooper Clubman S!! Awesome car!!

Mmm, I'm sorry I don't know the answer. I would suggest you do what I did. Go and visit your local Mini dealership - they were happy to try the Mini Y cable for me with me in the car and test it's compatibility without purchasing it. Sounds obvious I know (you may not live near a dealership so that may not possible) - even if it works to your satisfaction you don't have to buy it from them. You might pick one up second hand cheaper?

So my advice is: go to a Mini dealership and try the Y cable before you buy.

Sorry I can't help more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.