MINI Cooper Forum banner

What to check for?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Hils123 
#1 ·
Hi,
Going to look at an 07 Mini Cooper 1.6 tomorrow. I'm completely new to Minis and wondered if there was anything I should lookout for and what are the things I should be checking (apart from the obvious stuff)
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Aside from the obvious like damage externally and internally (take into account for fair wear and tear), oil leaks, panel alignment and panel gaps are equal, any receipts for work done on the vehicle and importantly, get the VIN # and have a BMW/Mini dealership pull the workshop records (not just the service record), its worth knowing if its had the timing chain, clutch, last brake service etc done that will not show up in a service book.

I had a Vin # based workshop history pulled on my R53 (I'm the 3rd owner) and non of it was in the service book and was 7 pages long covering brakes, clutch replacement, wiper blades, even globes.

I now have the official Mini Workshop print out and my own records of all service and repair work (inc photo's and receipts) for the car since it was new in 2006.

For example, if its had several clutches or an on going clutch issue, you would wonder how its been driven by its previous owner etc :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.