MINI Cooper Forum banner

Vanos cog seized

6K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  AdrianH 
#1 ·
I have been chasing a Vanos issue which occurred after I had the chain on my 2008 Cooper replaced. I have replaced everything I can but the EML stays on and the garage has given up. So I took the rocker cover off myself. While there is some backlash in the Exhaus Camshaft, the inlet Vanos cog is locked solid to the inlet shaft. I guess this is wrong and there should be a little backlash if I try to turn the inlet Camshaft?

#2 ·
The exhaust does have some backlash but the inlet didn't on mine when it was reassembled
This may be due to the electrical device on the right hand rear of the head that controls the inlet timing

What fault is the eml throwing up

Mine was p0014 and p0015

After checking the oil pressure

Took it to mini centre and they cleared the adaptations and did a software upgrade at the same time

Car is fine now

#3 ·
Thanks Cbatoday for commenting. I am getting P0011 and P0012. I have a hunch that the garage has fitted the inlet Vanos cog in such a way that it is seized from the get-go. It is absolutely locked to the Camshaft- if I wrench the Camshaft the chain moves both ways driven by the cog. Contrast with the exhaust Vanos where there is a bit of slop as I might expect. thoughts?

#6 ·
it has been known for brand new out of a box ones to be faulty the first time it get's used, as for fitting them very straight forward one bolt per vanos cant see how it could be a mechanic fault for failure, you will have a warranty as this is a legal obligation or any garage and fitting parts, they in turn would claim off the out let who sold them the dodgy part

#7 ·
glad to see yours is all well now it was mission lol

#5 ·
My garage has agreed to take the car in for another look. He agreed it sounded like a seized Vanos cog. I hope that's the issue as it has been a long story. I'll update as soon as the Vanos is swapped. It's a shame I had to open up the engine myself to find it.

#9 ·
yes to a point a joint engine with psa group its known as the prince engine not bmw's finest hour i dont think way to many issues would seem the timing chain workings were more bmw designed as even bmw full brand engines after 2007 has issues n47 diesels and the petrol engine see a lot of timing chain jobs on them,, they should re design the chain kits and fix it the sell these cars as sealed for life when new, never thought that was only 50k or 100k if lucky before they fail, i had a chat with a guy today after changing his dual mass flywheel after 110k on a vag 1.9 tdi he was under the understanding the clutch should last 200k at least,, just nuts

#10 ·
Was hoping to have the good news today but the garage had to postpone the job due to injury. Rescheduled for next week. All seems a bit strange to me, the story I am being told by the garage, let alone the poor quality of the BMW design and build. Thanks for all the comments all.

#11 ·
Yeehaa! I persuaded the garage to replace the Vanos cog whichever they reluctantly did at no labour cost. They used the Peugeot part (20% of the BMW price in the U.K.) It didn't look good but after a day's driving the EML has switched off and the engine has been running just fine ever since. What I learned out of this whole story is that 1.those codes mean the cog is jammed. 2 the mechanic must always check the cog is not seized before closing it up. 3. The Peugeot part works fine, 4. Trust yourself to have a look inside - plenty of help on YouTube - "Mini Adventure" is a hero 5.Be patient and 6 its worth trusting your instinct and standing your ground. So I'm feeling pretty good right now hope it lasts. I'll keep you updated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.