What bulbs for Headlights and sidelights - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Exterior > Second Generation MINI Exterior

Second Generation MINI Exterior
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Second Generation MINI Exterior 2006 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cooper S Sidelights Bluey_VIII General Discussion 13 Mar 5th, 2013 05:29 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:55 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:26 PM
United Kingdom
What bulbs for Headlights and sidelights

I have a mini One R56, standard halogen headlights, wish i chose the xenon lights at the time but didn't really know hat they where back then... I bought some healights, Osram silver stars and some sidelights which where meant to have a blue tint, the sidelights i was extremely dissapointed with and are still quite yellow and the headlights are nothing special just brighter.

I really want that xenon look where it has a glimpse of blue sometimes, obviously i know i can't get this without spending ridiculous amounts of money getting new headlights etc...

Which bulbs would you recommend?? looking between Philips power 2 night, Osram cool blue, xenon Ice blue bulbs and the one's which personally i think people will reccomend will be Philips Blue visions?? so reccomend away. Also what fitting will i need?? i thing H4 but im not sure

Sidelights would you go with something like the philips blue visions again?? or would you get a blue LED?? are LED's legal in the min's sidelights??

thanks very much for answers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
MINI2 Regular
Send a message via MSN to adam_Randell

United Kingdom Male View adam_Randell's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Profile View adam_Randell's Classified Ads
You can get bulbs that are blue and give a blue-er tinge. However, you can get a HID kit. Which basically converts you headlights to Xenon. They are not legal because exnons have to be self leveling and have to have a washer system. I have a bi-xenon hid kit on mine and its a brilliant bit of kit. i tried bulbs before and the hid kit is superior in every way

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
i was looking at those a minute ago, where did you get yours from?? i dont really understand how they work?? whats the difference between xenon hid and bi-exnon kit?? how sort of much money are you looking at for a decent kit??
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom View TURBS's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by rubberj00 (original)
i was looking at those a minute ago, where did you get yours from?? i dont really understand how they work?? whats the difference between xenon hid and bi-exnon kit?? how sort of much money are you looking at for a decent kit??

There is no difference except for Bi-Xenons are used for both low and high beam from the same bulb. Lots of places that sells these lights are selling really cheap ones so be careful. I have the number of a company that sells them somewhere but cant find it at the moment but if you drop me a PM i will find it for you. As for LED's in the side lights they will bring up a bulb out warning light on your dash that wont go away due to a difference in current being drawn by the LED.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
what sort of price are we talking about for a good quality conversion kit?? what does this company look like?? ....

UNIVERSAL XENON HID KITS NOTTO® SE - Complete HID Conversion Kit

are these kit's illegal, would it be easy for a police car to know you had these where a kit?? and what would they do?? i can't get any more points on my license or i will loose it so they couldn't give points could they??
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
MINI2 Senior

They wont pull you for them. Mine are 8000K which are still within legal limit so dont get rouble for them. Basically if you had a Corsa B with a bright set of Xenons you may get pulled but not in a modern Mini. They would look at them and just think Modern up market car with expensive lights in. Im not sure about getting points for them but you cant be too careful now with police as some are becoming really petty.

And if i were you i wouldn't buy that kit you gave the link for. They look cheap and iv never heard of them plus they are from the US, theres loads of UK based companies that sell them. Iv forgotten what they cost me now but think they were around £140 when i had a set of H4/3's for my R56 Cooper when i had it.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
MINI2 Senior

England Male
i would recommend trying these

Philips X-treme Power | Products | Auto Express

bout £18 from ebay

Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View adam_Randell's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Profile View adam_Randell's Classified Ads
Mine are Ultra ones. they reatail at just under £200

Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
MINI2 Senior

Ultra are not good for quility what so ever. Some people have no problems with thier products but most do so stear clear and look on HIDS4U or something like that. If not i spoke to the guy from the garage i got mine from and he said that his are £140 inc postage. They have bulb out warning cancellers to stop you from getting the bulb warning lights on your dash and they have an anti flicker unit in them aswell to stop them flickering upon start up, i can give you the garages number but only through PM as i think its against the rules to put the number on here for all to see. (sorry if this is not allowed mods, please remove it if its a problem)

The only Non Xenon bulbs i would recomend are PHILLIPS DIAMOND vision as the rest dont come out blue enough or with enough light output.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by TURBS (original)
Ultra are not good for quility what so ever. Some people have no problems with thier products but most do so stear clear and look on HIDS4U or something like that. If not i spoke to the guy from the garage i got mine from and he said that his are £140 inc postage. They have bulb out warning cancellers to stop you from getting the bulb warning lights on your dash and they have an anti flicker unit in them aswell to stop them flickering upon start up, i can give you the garages number but only through PM as i think its against the rules to put the number on here for all to see. (sorry if this is not allowed mods, please remove it if its a problem)

The only Non Xenon bulbs i would recomend are PHILLIPS DIAMOND vision as the rest dont come out blue enough or with enough light output.

Okay thanks, well i may PM you in the future, just atm im saving up too get some 17" rims and the Aero Kit on my one so that may be a couple of months away!! But the Phillips Diamond Vision, Do they fit into my headlights?? Also what do i need H4 right?? or is it h7 i dont really understand all of that stuff!! Lastly are they legal?? and if there not how likely do you think it is the police would pull you over for them?? would they easily notice there illegal??

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:32 AM
MINI2 Senior

The diamond vision are fully E marked but they are very hard to find. You will need H4 size bulbs. The good thing about Diamond Vision bulbs is that they are 5000K in colour but have all of the light output of a 100w bulb but whilst only using 55w. And again the police wont stop you for having blue/white lights on a Mini in my opinion as its expected of modern up market cars to have xenons or high output lights, most police will probably just think they are xenons and leave you alone but they are E marked so legal for road use so you will have no probelms.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Got the diamondvision ones, as i wasn't impressed by the Osram Silverstars at all, but im going to keep them for spares i think and in the back of my boot uncase the POlice stop me and tell me to change them as they do say on them DONT USE IN EUROPE OF USA hahaaaa lets just hope i can't get points, or bye bye license.... There absolutely amazing, they sent me the philips bluevision sidelights for free but these are terrible still, i need to find a pair that are the same colour as my headlights as it looks silllllly now, ill post a pic or two...

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

see what i mean about sidelights looking stupid now!!?? can't find any bulbs that are the same sort of thing though :S
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
MINI2 Regular

LED side lights are the way to go - need to put a resistor in aswell though so you dont get a LO warning

Old May 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by adam_Randell (original)
LED side lights are the way to go - need to put a resistor in aswell though so you dont get a LO warning

Aren't all LED sidelights completly illegal?? and really obvious to the piggys that it is illegal?? so the first one to see you with them would probably rip your testicles off??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , , ,