MINI Cooper Forum banner

HID conversion kit

21K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  fcminicoopers 
#1 ·
I didn't choose the xenon lights back when spec'ing my mini, as it was for my 17th birthday i really had no clue about what i wanted and my mini would be completely different if i was to have the opportunity again...
However i reallllly realllllly want xenon lights so bad, but not willing to pay ridiculous price for each headlamp and then have them installed, not even sure if that is possible?
I have, from memory the Diamondvision bulbs or something like that (can't remember) however there not road legal also look really quite blue and nothing like xenon lights, from what i gather these "HID conversion kits" are the closest i will be able to get to the xenon look, i was just wondering if anyone else has installed one of these? If so please post pic and your opinion on it as well as what make it is? and where you got it from!! Thanks.

#2 ·
Ive got them on my car mate and LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!:D..2 of my best mates also have the same ones on their polo GTI and MGZR..60 sheets off ebay and your sorted..and TBH I think they look sooo much better than xenons(i imagine a few folk are gonna hate me for saying that lol..personal opinion)..i seen my car driving behind me as my mate was driving and I had my mums Touareg and i was like WOW!:eek:..so charge on mate, you really wont be disappointed!!;)

#3 ·
What make did you get buddy? searched on ebay and theres such a large range in prices and obviously don't want to end up with a **** one that will break in a week.
Also what colour did you go for??Obviously i want it to be bright but i also like it when there is a little hint of blue so was thinking either 6000k or 8000k, just wondered what you have and what you think of the colour. cheers bro.

#5 ·
xenon = main bean xenon, high beam halogen

bi-xenon = main & high beam xenon

The R56 has a H4 fitting an you can get both xenon and bi-xenon as i have had both. imo the normal xenon conversion is pointless as the high beam is dimmer than standard! I now have the bi-xenon kit. however, can seem to get rid of the warning light on my dash even with the cancellor. but...its worth it! you say your currnet bulbs are not legal...neither are HID kits unless you have the specific requirements (which no halogen units have). but, if you go 6000k or 8000k you shouldnt have any trouble.

#8 ·
Go to HidsDirect. They dont bring up any warning codes. I have had Hids in every one of my cars and these are the only ones that dont flicker, interfere with the radio and they bring up no warning lights. Dont buy Ultra! Buy HidsDirect.

#10 ·
Don't any of you have any problems with blinding other road users with these conversion kits?

Was looking at getting some myself but read they're an MOT fail, blind other road users and attract attention from the police (although I'm sure this is only where it's obvious an aftermarket kit has been fitted, like on a boy racers corsa etc)

#15 ·
HID advice for 2002 Cooper

Hi there, I am new to this forum, and only recently bought my MINI just over a week ago. The first thing i want to change is the headlights as mine are nasty and yellow.

I need some advice as to wether to buy a HID conversion kit and which one to get for my car, how much i should be paying and what is road legal?

Or should i just invest in some super brilliance light bulbs, and if these are impressive which ones should i buy?

Any advice appreciated!

Ruth

#16 ·
Hi there, I am new to this forum, and only recently bought my MINI just over a week ago. The first thing i want to change is the headlights as mine are nasty and yellow.

I need some advice as to wether to buy a HID conversion kit and which one to get for my car, how much i should be paying and what is road legal?

Or should i just invest in some super brilliance light bulbs, and if these are impressive which ones should i buy?

Any advice appreciated!

Ruth
Aftermarket HID's are not road legal due to them having no self levelling or headlight wash.

Doesn't stop people putting them in but just be warned that you willmore likely to be flashed by other drivers or even pulled if they not aligned more downards etc.

I would suggest some more brighter bulbs as suggested

try NewMINIStuff.com for brighter bulbs

#17 ·
I wanted a High Intensity Discharge kit which is a very cool light and better visibility especially during night driving. I opted to go with the single beam HID kit too and love it, they are cheaper on ebay but I wanted a warranty so I got it here Sealed Beam Headlight Kits , or you can try one of the vendors. Also some of the forum sponsors selling Headlight Kits usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great system, and very easy to install.

#18 ·
I read the discussion above , and I'm still confused. Here are the question that I think may clarifie:
1) what is the best model of HID Kit that is already tested on mini2? the exact reference or web link please?
2) is it ok to put a HID bulb on a normal Headlight without lens? what is the main role of the xenon lens?
3)is there any major modification on car (holes to make ...) , is it possible to turn back to halogen in case of need?

what I know , is that 5000/6000K bulbs will gives you a great white simiilar than original xenon. and I think also that it's much better to put a bi- bulb to have both Low/High beam white .

thank u in advance

#19 ·
No you cant put a HID bulb in a normal headlight unit and as far as Im aware now the current law here is the car must be fitted with headlamp wash and headlamp auto levelling systems if HID lights are fitted.?
But as youre in Tunisia you might be able to do whatever you like there, you need to check your countries lighting laws before doing anything?

#23 ·
Hello again, I tried 3 types of HID conversion Kit on my Mini, but ,even with a different error free modules , the car still see the kit as a grilled bulbs, and the defect indicator won't go!! I think that I need more resistance on the error free system to similate the normal bulbs, But I'm lost , I cannot find the good ones! HELP!!!

#27 ·
Hello!

Im new in this forum and have few questions which bothering my mind quite much. We are having Mini Cooper D 2008 with JCW kit.

Do you gyes/ladis/ have any idea of following questions:

We have these lamps
( here should be link.. can you check your self via google by writing Mini cooper D 2007)

1. Can we order projector with this lenswasher line or must the light be without it. Here you can see the light with washer and the upper link is without it:
( here should be link. Can you check via google by writing mini cooper 2009 and you will see quite soon these washer lamps)

2. If ordering xenon kit. Is my beam blocker, middle/top of bulb, enough to focus xenon beam correctly or do I need some kind of particular xenon bulb for my lamps?.. ( Ive planned to order these; hids-direct dot. co dot uk (H4 mini cooper bulbs)
2.1 How these xenons affecting my low and high beam behavior?

3. I would like to buy these spec-d lamps but they have some kind of problems with high and low beams not working together. You can check your self from here: vvv dot specdtuning dot com
** HIGH BEAM FUNCTION ON LOCKED POSITION HAS BEEN DISABLED, ONLY ABLE TO FLASH HIGH BEAM**

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.