MINI Cooper Forum banner

Will this rear bike rack work on the Clubman?

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sailesh 
#1 ·
I'm currently stationed overseas and unfortunately can't check this out for myself until I return to the States. My first purchase after coming home (following a Chipotle burrito, of course!) will be a Mini but I need to be able to attach a rear-mounted bike rack. I can't stand roof racks and I don't like the idea of expensive and time-consuming modifications like the Minidomore.

Has anyone tried to use the Thule Raceway Rack on their Clubman? (I would include a link but cannot until I've submitted more posts)

Here's how I envision this working:

-You open the right rear door fully and the left partially
-Slide the top and bottom hooks onto the left door (with the rack's cables fully extended) and then shut it
-Now move the right door towards the closed position with just an inch or two of space before it closes completely
-Slide the hooks onto the right side door and then shut it
-Ratchet down the clamps
-Viola!

What sets this rack apart from other options is that it doesn't require stabilizing straps to the sides. Does anyone out there have experience with matching this rack with a Clubman? If not, what do the Clubman owners think? Is this an workable solution or is there an aspect of the Clubman's rear doors that I am overlooking that makes this impossible?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've used a similar one on my cars and they work a treat. Surprisingly solid. Only issue I had was when I got the angle wrong and a pedal rubbed through the paintwork. Luckily that car's sold now :D

I've used mine on a Cooper hatch (no rear spoiler), a Volvo V40 (with spoiler), a Z3 convertible, and an Opel Corsa hatch.

Only thing is that I have no idea how you'll go with the barn doors of the Clubman??

#3 ·
It works!

You've probably figured this out by now, but it works! A trunk-mounted bike rack can be placed on the back doors of a Clubman as you described. The key is to get the top hooks on the frame and window, not just the window, and to connect the bottom straps to the undercarriage, not the bumper. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

#4 ·
You've probably figured this out by now, but it works! A trunk-mounted bike rack can be placed on the back doors of a Clubman as you described. The key is to get the top hooks on the frame and window, not just the window, and to connect the bottom straps to the undercarriage, not the bumper. Thanks for the suggestion! :)
Thanks for the confirmations! Any chance of a pic to show what the result looks like?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.