How quick do you have to go.... - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Exterior > Second Generation MINI Exterior


Second Generation MINI Exterior
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Second Generation MINI Exterior 2006 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Eirik's Avatar
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stavanger
Posts: 81
Local Time: 04:00 AM
Norway Male
How quick do you have to go....

to close the fuel door on a Cooper S if you forget to close it after a refill and you don't want to stop to close it. On a normal BMW i just have to do like 70km/h but in the Mini I was doing 160km/h and it still nothing.
Anyone knows?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Dixy72's Avatar
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 43
Local Time: 02:00 AM
United Kingdom
seriously?????? imho the effort put into driving fast to close it would maybe better spent stopping paying attention and closing it manually, just incase something happens and you don't see it wiping yourself out or more importantly hurting someone else. :-/

Last edited by Dixy72; Dec 14th, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 11:01 AM
MINI2 Master
Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tyneside
Posts: 1,148
Local Time: 03:00 AM
United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixy72 (original)
seriously?????? imho the effort put into driving fast to close it would maybe better spent stopping paying attention and closing it manually, just incase something happens and you don't see it wiping yourself out or more importantly hurting someone else. :-/

Is this serious? Hurting someone with a fold-back filler cap, that doesn't stick out any further than the door mirror in front of it? I think even an H&S officer would have trouble keeping a straight face if they had to read that out....

For Eirik, my guess is that the upright windscreen of the standard Mini generates a vortex that travels back along the sides of the car so there isn't smooth flow down the sides that would push the cap shut - unlike a BMW with a fully raked screen that won't have much of a vortex.

Citroen DSs ('real' ones, like a DS21) shed a spectacular vortex off the base of the screen and it gets reinforced by the sloped tail - there's a photo somewhere of one being driven through leaves that show up the two huge vortices trailing behind the car.

In the last few days of driving on salted roads, there have been some amazing dirt patterns on the side of my Roadster that I never saw on my Convertible which would just be dirty, so I guess the Roadster's screen rake has some effect.

And the shaped filler 'cap' of an S may have less drag than the flat cap of a BMW, so it may need a higher speed to create the same closing force.

Technical enuf for ya?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Dixy72's Avatar
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 43
Local Time: 02:00 AM
United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by Angib (original)
Is this serious? Hurting someone with a fold-back filler cap, that doesn't stick out any further than the door mirror in front of it? I think even an H&S officer would have trouble keeping a straight face if they had to read that out....

For Eirik, my guess is that the upright windscreen of the standard Mini generates a vortex that travels back along the sides of the car so there isn't smooth flow down the sides that would push the cap shut - unlike a BMW with a fully raked screen that won't have much of a vortex.

Citroen DSs ('real' ones, like a DS21) shed a spectacular vortex off the base of the screen and it gets reinforced by the sloped tail - there's a photo somewhere of one being driven through leaves that show up the two huge vortices trailing behind the car.

In the last few days of driving on salted roads, there have been some amazing dirt patterns on the side of my Roadster that I never saw on my Convertible which would just be dirty, so I guess the Roadster's screen rake has some effect.

And the shaped filler 'cap' of an S may have less drag than the flat cap of a BMW, so it may need a higher speed to create the same closing force.

Technical enuf for ya?

Yes I was and wasn't talking about getting hit by it, !!!! I meant driving fast then looking to see if it closed itself..... nice to know your your Thinking outside the box ???
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Dermottdog's Avatar
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kent
Posts: 228
Local Time: 03:00 AM
United Kingdom Male
I have to agree with the above. Speeding to get home to your wife about to give birth or saying goodbye to a loved one as they draw their last breath will maybe find some sympathy from the boys in blue but "I'm just speeding to close my filler cap" won't cut the mustard!!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 02:29 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master
Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,029
Local Time: 03:00 AM
United Kingdom Male
It will close at 145 mph, so you need a JCW tuning kit fitting.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 02:58 PM
MINI2 Master
Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tyneside
Posts: 1,148
Local Time: 03:00 AM
United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by Dermottdog (original)
.....from the boys in blue but "I'm just speeding to close my filler cap" won't cut the mustard!!

Do you mean they don't award marks for the most creative speeding excuse, with a free pardon to this week's winner? That's disappointing.

A guy in the next street was not let off when he was stopped speeding on his Yamaha 1000 claiming he was trying to clean the plugs - at a little under 150mph. I told him he was foolish not to be doing 155mph as at least he would have got (briefly) an entry in the Guinness Book of Records as the worst speeder in Britain. I mean, if you're going to have to sit out a six month ban, you might as well get something in exchange.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

» Hot Topics This Week
Mini Cooper N/A rally build - (94 replies)
Naming your MINI? - (79 replies)
Ok so who has ordered an F56 MCS? - (46 replies)
New Online Magazine for Track Day Enthusiasts - (24 replies)
Standard radio plays MP3? - (21 replies)
» Recent Threads
Britax Duo Plus in R56 Cooper S Hatchback
Dec 15th, 2013 06:34 PM
by ican
Last post by RachelEStewart
Today 12:48 AM
4 Replies, 1,308 Views
Affordable Track Days on Thompson's New Road Course (CT)
Jun 14th, 2014 02:59 PM
Last post by RachelEStewart
Today 12:45 AM
2 Replies, 470 Views
Anyone still got a membership card?
Yesterday 10:49 PM
Last post by zoooooom
Yesterday 10:49 PM
0 Replies, 43 Views
de-cat my miltek or remove resonator?
Aug 18th, 2014 08:52 PM
Last post by ExclusiveWorkshops
Yesterday 10:13 PM
1 Replies, 332 Views
Runflats?!
Aug 9th, 2014 09:29 AM
Last post by mini mai
Yesterday 10:05 PM
15 Replies, 1,856 Views
JCW 17" vs 18" for the track
Sep 1st, 2014 02:19 PM
Last post by ExclusiveWorkshops
Yesterday 10:02 PM
1 Replies, 294 Views
Convertible S 2009 Roof Broken
Yesterday 09:57 PM
Last post by danalouise
Yesterday 09:57 PM
0 Replies, 55 Views
Mini Cooper S - Flat runs to normal?
Jun 20th, 2014 12:45 PM
by emmajsx
Last post by ExclusiveWorkshops
Yesterday 09:55 PM
9 Replies, 1,346 Views
Naming your MINI?
Nov 22nd, 2011 06:02 AM
by wozzauk
Last post by mini mai
Yesterday 09:40 PM
79 Replies, 22,088 Views
Hidden glove box
Yesterday 08:54 PM
by Grumps
Last post by Grumps
Yesterday 08:54 PM
0 Replies, 78 Views
Fog light fitting
Yesterday 07:55 PM
by Grumps
Last post by Grumps
Yesterday 07:55 PM
0 Replies, 85 Views
Odd Logbook
Yesterday 01:49 PM
Last post by fumanchu
Yesterday 06:54 PM
2 Replies, 152 Views
Information about visibility pack
Mar 23rd, 2014 02:13 AM
by olivier
Last post by davidscott
Yesterday 06:48 PM
8 Replies, 1,304 Views
Bulbs behind heater controls
Yesterday 09:43 AM
Last post by k3fus
Yesterday 06:05 PM
1 Replies, 163 Views
Factory JCW thermostat housing
Yesterday 09:39 AM
by nimpy
Last post by Caveman
Yesterday 04:48 PM
1 Replies, 133 Views
Please help me find my MINI!!
Yesterday 04:07 PM
by mazeone
Last post by Caveman
Yesterday 04:37 PM
1 Replies, 143 Views
Mini Button
Yesterday 07:16 AM
Last post by minifan90
Yesterday 07:16 AM
0 Replies, 150 Views
Just bought a EB mini cooper S 2003
Sep 17th, 2014 08:48 PM
Last post by pastytreat
Sep 17th, 2014 10:42 PM
2 Replies, 251 Views
Mini Cooper N/A rally build
Apr 10th, 2012 02:08 PM
Last post by Rally370
Sep 17th, 2014 10:21 PM
94 Replies, 36,050 Views
Looking to replace crankshaft or having original machined.
Sep 17th, 2014 09:26 PM
by Zgenius
Last post by Zgenius
Sep 17th, 2014 09:26 PM
0 Replies, 263 Views
» Premium
» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2