R56 - My First Thoughts . . . - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI One > Second Generation MINI One

Second Generation MINI One MINI One from 2007 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will a R56 Door stay/strap/Restrictor fit an R53 Zanhar 25 First Generation Faults & Fixes 1 Nov 3rd, 2013 11:06 PM
Which diagnostic tool for R56 cooper? LizzyG Second Generation Faults & Fixes 5 Sep 30th, 2013 01:15 PM
Does r56 cooper S front bumper fit r56 cooper? irfan.s Second Generation MINI Cooper 0 Feb 14th, 2013 10:22 AM
Bye r53 hello r56 James burbidge General Discussion 12 Aug 29th, 2012 10:17 PM
R56 JCW spoiler on R50 olly-w First Generation MINI Exterior 1 Jul 30th, 2012 07:52 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM
MINI2 Veteran

Local Time: 03:44 AM
United Kingdom Male View theminiv's Classified Ads
R56 - My First Thoughts . . .

Hey all!!

Picked up my brand new one a few days ago, thought I would give some info on it after about 400 miles of driving!

---- Just came back from RAF Fairford, stil gutted that they cancelled the airshow

Anyhoo, the baby One made up for the dissapointment.

Coming from a 120i BMW, and a Mini One R53 previously, I am so happy to be behind what I will now call the best cars available in the UK for 14000.

Compared to the BMW, sharper response, better built, smoother ride

Mini have done something really special here I must admit, creating a car that drives better than BMW's entry level posh rear wheel driver. The R56 one has a way of trancing you while driving, usually I get very tired driving, but the One kept me awake, with its slick, no quibble steering and throttle systems. It drives itself, you just need to move it slightly !

From a Mini to a Mini, the R56 is much better built, the plastics are no longer super flimsy and nailed together, but solid and hard to move. Yes there is a small dash rattle, but honestly this time, this does not bother me one bit.

The 1.4 Engine is pokey, ok its a little slow if you are in 6th gear going up a hill, but changing down is not a problem. The clutch operates alot better and smoother and the gearstick is like a switch, not like a bag of rocks!

Interior is lovely, I have the basic interior with the Pepper pack, but its all soooo cooool!! - colour changing lights, cool bits and bobs, storage everywhere! - I love how Mini have finished everything off, its almost child proofed if you know what I mean. No sharp edges or unfinished trim, its all been covered. - Rear seat legroom has also improved, along with the amazing ride quality, give a good ride to the rear passengers!

Anyway, to wrap up this little review !

After 5 minis, 3 BMW's, this mini One is gonna be with me for a long long time, its the best car I have ever owned and driven. And I will continue to recommend the Mini brand to everyone I can do, as it is a great little car, for a not too bad price. Go for it Mini - Your on the right track!

PS, gonna get loads of pics up soon. There needs to be more on here ! !

Has had too many minis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM
MINI2 Master

Scotland View KenL's Classified Ads
Glad you are enjoying your car.

Surprising that the MINI is better built than your 120!

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM
MINI2 Veteran

Quote: Originally Posted by KenL (original)
Glad you are enjoying your car.

Surprising that the MINI is better built than your 120!

It is surprising isnt it. But very very true.

It is defo alot better than the 54 plate I had, and also better than the 3 demonstrators I borrowed (120d's and 118s)

Reporting after a couple of days , the rattles are starting to mature, but really I dont care (this may not be the situation in the near future mine for those who know what im like) -

One thing I will say, the warranty will sort them out, and I have 3 years of that so im sitting back and taking it all in my stride. . . . .

Has had too many minis
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Wanted a JCW!!

United Kingdom Male View Troy's Chili Red & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI One Profile View Troy's Classified Ads
I think I have got lucky by the sounds of it, no rattles, so far! My Cooper S fuel filler cap however wasn't fitted properly! Aparently it was warped to begin with!!

It's a Mini Adventure.

Last edited by Troy; Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:36 AM
MINI2 Veteran

Quote: Originally Posted by Troy (original)
I think I have got lucky by the sounds of it, now rattles, so far! My Cooper S fuel filler cap however wasn't fitted properly! Aparently it was warped to begin with!!

Lol, - I think some people are a little more picky than others.

My first Mini (2001) - Was awful, anything you did to it rattled. Especially the massive rockford fosgate sub in the boot !

But as I got newer minis, I noticed that they put felt in places that rattle. Biggest problem is, Mini diddnt fix the rattles in the older shape, instead, they just made a new car, with its own !!

Im ok with mine at the moment, still loving it, cant wait to go out for a spin !

Has had too many minis
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:20 AM
vroom, vroom!

United Kingdom Male
I picked up my Mini Cooper nearly a month ago. I love it. OK, so there are a few rattles from the dashboard. They can be sorted no problem. It really is a lovely car to drive, more refined and I don't mind the Stop/Start function.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Wanted a JCW!!

United Kingdom Male View Troy's Chili Red & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI One Profile View Troy's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by theminiv (original)
Lol, - I think some people are a little more picky than others.

I think I'm one of those picky people to be honest, I booked my car in for the filler cap plus random gaps that are fractionally larger then they should be on the trims around the car! But I don't mind these so much, would absolutely hate rattles.

It's a Mini Adventure.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Talking Mini One R56

My car is 4 weeks old and I picked it up new from the dealers.

Agree with every word about it being a fantastic car. I was looking at a used 1st gen model but the dealer talked me into their new model in the showroom and I dont regret a minute of it so far. Such an improvement on the original I think even though the original was/is still a great car.

I have a small rattle on the dash as well coming from the main central vent on the top but it only does it now and then on rougher roads. Otherwise its as solid as a rock. I doubt the rattle can be sorted though because its just plastics.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM
MINI2 Veteran

Quote: Originally Posted by bmwmini1 (original)
My car is 4 weeks old and I picked it up new from the dealers.

Agree with every word about it being a fantastic car. I was looking at a used 1st gen model but the dealer talked me into their new model in the showroom and I dont regret a minute of it so far. Such an improvement on the original I think even though the original was/is still a great car.

I have a small rattle on the dash as well coming from the main central vent on the top but it only does it now and then on rougher roads. Otherwise its as solid as a rock. I doubt the rattle can be sorted though because its just plastics.

Hmm, I dont know, think if some washers were put in there creatively. but its best to leave it cos it can cause more problems.

Im gonna leave my little rattle for a few months, wait til winter when you put the heaters on, it will allexpand and hopefully go then!

Has had too many minis
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Wanted a JCW!!

As I mentioned I have my car booked in, slightly off topic, but anyone got any idea as to what courtesy car I could get?

It's a Mini Adventure.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM
MINI2 Veteran

As I mentioned I have my car booked in, slightly off topic, but anyone got any idea as to what courtesy car I could get?

Lol, could be anything to be honest.

My dealer uses 1 series, some give u a one or cooper, some give a demo S, some dont give one at all. !

Has had too many minis
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Wanted a JCW!!

Well I've booked one so I'm definately getting one!! Gonna cross my fingers and pray like a priest for a demo S .

It's a Mini Adventure.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Now what have I done????

Australia Male View dalboyne's Classified Ads

Last time mine went in for warranty work they gave me.....a BMW X5 . I HATED it!

Ian

Not here much any more
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 02:44 AM
United Kingdom Female View supa-dupa-cooper's Chili Red & White 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile View supa-dupa-cooper's Classified Ads
Glad you like it

I picked up my new S, 4 weeks ago, and as MINI number 4 she is absolutly perfect I too had a rattle in the centre of the dash when I first got the car, but that has now gone

Troy - when ever ive had a loan car its either been a new Cooper or more recently they are using Clubmans But after 4 in the space of a few weeks when I had the Dooper I dont plan to have anymore for a while, so hey they might have upgraded to JCWs by the first service
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Wanted a JCW!!

God, I hope I don't get a Clubman, I've only been driving a few months, it'll feel like a hearse to me! As for an X5, I wouldn't mind it but only with parking sensors . Can't park my Mini as it is so anything bigger could prove to be difficult!!

It's a Mini Adventure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , ,