MINI Cooper Forum banner

Hard ride

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mid Life Mini 
#1 ·
Ive just bought a 60 plate Cooper D with the sports suspension and as nice as it is, its just to hard a ride at certain times. Can it be adjusted??

If not, maybe swap them for something less stiff?

Whats my options and what would you recommend if I change the suspension setup?

Thanks

#2 ·
You cant adjust the standard suspension factory fitted, if you want it soft you need a Renault ;)
Changing the springs for normal Cooper ones will reduce the firmness as will fitting non run flat tyres.
All a bit costly though, seems a pity youve spent your money buying something not to your liking? didnt you test drive it first?

#3 ·
I did test drive it but we didnt cover speed humps or bad roads :(

Being a driving instructor the stiff ride might pose a small problem if my pupils don't slow down for speed humps while on test, hence want to change it slightly. I love it tbh but pupils do forget.

The car already runs on non fun flats so that's a bonus.

Renault :aargh::D:biggrin::bad:

#5 ·
I don't think it's practical to alter the suspension, unless you want to spend lots of money. I believe the sports suspension option is stiffer anti-roll bars and dampers, not the spring rate, so changing all that lot would be £1000 easily.

A crashing ride can be alleviated a bit by going to smaller wheels - it seems to be the combination of sports suspension and 17" wheels that makes money for dentists. But then 17" wheels wouldn't be ideal on a school car, being constantly scraped against curbs, so you are probably already on smaller wheels.

#7 ·
I see, dammit, Ok thanks for the info. Oh and I have 17" alloys with non run flats atm, i dont allow my pupils to scrape the kerb ever, altho what happens on the test is a different matter.

i really disliked the ride from the coopers fitted with 17" and run flats, our cooper currently have 16" wheels with run flats and it's a *lot* nicer (bit of sidewall!) with 'normal' tyres on (which i will fit when these are more worn) it will be a lot nicer over the big potholes.
WOOSEYYYYY!!!!!!

well have to meet up soon, hang on, is this the woosey im thinking of?? :D

#6 ·
i really disliked the ride from the coopers fitted with 17" and run flats, our cooper currently have 16" wheels with run flats and it's a *lot* nicer (bit of sidewall!) with 'normal' tyres on (which i will fit when these are more worn) it will be a lot nicer over the big potholes.

#11 ·
Are all the tyres the same?

I had Bridgestone Potenza's on mine and then when I needed two new ones I had Hankook's put on the rear and it handled like a dog. I went back to the tyre place I use for the. To check it out as I was worried something was wrong. The guy there got me down a Potenza and the Hankook and got me to press on the sidewalls. The Potenza was lime a rock but the Hankook had quite a bit of give in it, hence the erratic handling.

With hindsight I wish I had replaced like for like, whilst I dont have a problem with the Hankook's, I am a freak and LOVE the harsher ride I got with the Potenza's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.