PCV hose, delete. - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Engine & Drivetrain Tuning > Second Generation MINI Tuning

Second Generation MINI Tuning
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Tuning the second generation MINI Late 2006 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
intake hose resonator delete vinniecooper First Generation MINI Tuning 1 Jan 22nd, 2011 12:55 PM
forge Intercooler Reasonator delete hose argyris Second Generation MINI Tuning 20 Jul 28th, 2009 08:59 PM
Cleaning... Without a Hose.. envy Maintenance & MINI Care 10 Jun 12th, 2009 07:42 AM
Fitting Resonator Delete Hose Rosco Second Generation MINI Tuning 4 Feb 3rd, 2009 02:26 PM
PCV hose pics? DarkMiniCooperS First Generation Faults & Fixes 5 May 10th, 2004 02:37 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 10:51 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 06:29 PM
United Kingdom Male View Czar's Classified Ads
PCV hose, delete.

Now i'm sure most if not all of you are aware of the issue attaining to the N14 engine, which has the issue of excessive carbon build up on the inlet valves ?

The usual method is to fit an oil catch can or use a cleaning additive such as Seafoam, BG K44 etc etc or maybe both, there has been discussions and I have mentioned this too, about the fitment of water/meth injection to help remove and control the excessive carbon build up.

For a while now I have been testing another solution, and this is to completely remove the rear PCV hose, which feeds the crankcase gas oil mist residue directly into the base of the inlet manifold, which in turn is pulled up into the incoming air flow and finds itself being burnt onto the inlet valves.

So the following photo's show what I have done as another alternative to combat this issue.

And all is well and good.

Performance Powered By Thought.
Engineered Horsepower.

Last edited by MINIAC; Apr 12th, 2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Fix image links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:29 PM
NOOOOO!!!! I hope I am wrong and I have misunderstood what you have just done but have you completely blanked of the PCV valve?

If you did then why? PCV valve is important. You cannot blank it off. The engine needs to breathe through it to let blow by gasses escape. If you blanked it off then you are going to kill your engine in the next day or two.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 04:27 PM
MINI2 Premium Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:29 PM
England Male View Snowie's Thunder Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S JCW GP Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by CustomSpooling (original)
NOOOOO!!!! I hope I am wrong and I have misunderstood what you have just done but have you completely blanked of the PCV valve?

If you did then why? PCV valve is important. You cannot blank it off. The engine needs to breathe through it to let blow by gasses escape. If you blanked it off then you are going to kill your engine in the next day or two.

Do not worry the man above knows exactly what he is doing and why he is doing it..

Czar knows more than most on here about the R56 engine and it's problems !!

In Italy

Thanks for this post from:
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote: Originally Posted by Snowie (original)
Do not worry the man above knows exactly what he is doing and why he is doing it..

Czar knows more than most on here about the R56 engine and it's problems !!

ok cool

I am interested to see what he is doing and his alternative to blocking the PCV valve
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Send a message via Skype™ to edwkmho

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Singapore
Hi guys,

have any of you tried this solution. would durely like to know the effect as i am about to get the two plugs.

Thanks.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 11:33 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Hi,
I am a new member and was just wondering if there was any more news about PCV hose delete ?
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 03:33 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quote: Originally Posted by goosejc00 (original)
Hi,
I am a new member and was just wondering if there was any more news about PCV hose delete ?

What would you like to know ?

Probably where to get the blanking caps ?

If that's what you'd like to know, all you have to do, is get yourself to your local Peugeot dealer, and ask them, for 2 Blanking caps, part No: 0361.S4

Engineered Horsepower.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
This is not a new idea. I have been running this mod for about 6 months now when I read about it on these forums.

If you look at the new mini cooper s engine it has the delete alrdy installed.

It stopped the coking problem & "super knock."

Tab

Quote: Originally Posted by edwkmho (original)
Hi guys,

have any of you tried this solution. would durely like to know the effect as i am about to get the two plugs.

Thanks.

Old Feb 17th, 2012, 10:24 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Czar,

How does this work? How does the engine vent the crankcase gases if the outlet is blanked off?
Does the Peugeot blank piece still allow the pressure to be released?
Why do Peugeot produce these blanking pieces?

I had a minor intermittent misfire which the dealer attempted tp sort by replacing the plugs - apparently a bit burnt? Updating the anti-knock software and finally some sort of fuel additive? Also repeatedly advised that I was using 'bad' fuel. At the last visit the senior mechanic told me that he had done some long term comparisons on his own car and only used the main fuel brands - just the normal octane - not the super. Have followed his advice for six month - no misfire! Still worried about the 'coking' due to the direct injection and the breather return issue so interested in this solution?

Cheers

NeilB
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 09:12 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
United-Kingdom

Quote: Originally Posted by Czar (original)
What would you like to know ?

Probably where to get the blanking caps ?

If that's what you'd like to know, all you have to do, is get yourself to your local Peugeot dealer, and ask them, for 2 Blanking caps, part No: 0361.S4

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I am just trying to get my head round what i can do to look after my car, all i keep reading everywhere is that there are numerous problems with this engine.
I found a link about this PCV delete because i noticed that some people had stated that it was related to knock sensor codes which i have had to have taken off once at the dealer.
How long have you been running this mod ?
does it have any other effects ?
I have also had to change the sump gasket on my car and read somewhere that it can aslo be connected to crankcase pressure ?

Ian
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quote: Originally Posted by Neil B Scot (original)
Czar,

How does this work? How does the engine vent the crankcase gases if the outlet is blanked off? It has a second PCV outlet, into the air intake tube!
Does the Peugeot blank piece still allow the pressure to be released? Yes it vents through the second PCV outlet.
Why do Peugeot produce these blanking pieces? Peugeot do not produce these caps, they are produced by, Norma fittings, and commonly used by many different manufacturers.

I had a minor intermittent misfire which the dealer attempted tp sort by replacing the plugs - apparently a bit burnt? Updating the anti-knock software and finally some sort of fuel additive? Also repeatedly advised that I was using 'bad' fuel. At the last visit the senior mechanic told me that he had done some long term comparisons on his own car and only used the main fuel brands - just the normal octane - not the super. Have followed his advice for six month - no misfire! Still worried about the 'coking' due to the direct injection and the breather return issue so interested in this solution?

Cheers

NeilB

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I am just trying to get my head round what i can do to look after my car, all i keep reading everywhere is that there are numerous problems with this engine.
I found a link about this PCV delete because i noticed that some people had stated that it was related to knock sensor codes which i have had to have taken off once at the dealer.
How long have you been running this mod ? Over a year, with no problems.
does it have any other effects ? Blanking off the rear PCV, reduces the direct contaminated flow, of the crankcase oil mist residue gasses, and helps in controlling/reducing the carbon build up, on the backs of the inlet valves.
I have also had to change the sump gasket on my car and read somewhere that it can aslo be connected to crankcase pressure ? Crankcase pressure can be responsible for gaskets/seals leaking, that said, the amount of crankcase pressure varies, from engine to engine, manufacturer to manufacturer.

Ian

Engineered Horsepower.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:00 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
United-Kingdom

Quote: Originally Posted by Czar (original)

Thanks for the answers Czar, If i was to fit these PCV delete caps, do the dealers notice/bring it up as a problem ? I am due for my second service in june.

I have recently noticed that cold start rattle noise but not on idle and not very often at all, only when pulling off under low revs and for litterally a few seconds.

I had the timing chain tensioner changed 12 months ago although the noise hadnt started then, i had it done as a precaution

thanks
Ian
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
MINI2 Regular

Thanks for the answers Czar, If i was to fit these PCV delete caps, do the dealers notice/bring it up as a problem ? Probably, as it's NOT a factory fit, nor a BMW MINI recognised/recommended solution, for reducing crankcase oil mist residue, entering the inlet manifold directly, escalating the ever problematic, carbon deposit build up, on the backs of the inlet valves, of which BMW MINI UK, have not recognised this as a concerning issue, for their customers, old or new! I am due for my second service in june.

I have recently noticed that cold start rattle noise but not on idle and not very often at all, only when pulling off under low revs and for litterally a few seconds.

I had the timing chain tensioner changed 12 months ago although the noise hadnt started then, i had it done as a precaution

thanks
Ian

Engineered Horsepower.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 08:07 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:29 PM
United States
Here is a real newbie question. How do I know what engine I have? Its a 2007 Cooper S
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Estonia Male View Caveman's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by Juddy22 (original)
Here is a real newbie question. How do I know what engine I have? Its a 2007 Cooper S

The N14 engine was used in US spec Cooper S models through the 2010 model year.
Thanks for this post from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement