MINI Cooper Forum banner

Upgrade consequences

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Thecleverbit 
#1 · (Edited)
Last year (2010) I discovered the Mini Cooper existed. Attached is a 5 - 6 page pdf of my experience installing "upgrades" on the R56. Eventually, the problem still remaining will be resolved, but to date, I still get an occasional "fatal" or limp mode cel, P2885. The fix will be a new ECU map with the Alta AccessPort, but so far it's low priority for the programmers, Cobb and Alta. Fortunately, the cel does not occur during high performance driving, only on my occasional lazy times when I don't down-shift for quick acceleration.

Let me emphasize that a Garrett should not be installed unless the ECU can be reprogrammed. I'm told that someone in the UK had a similar upgrade package, but without an Accessport. It was dismantled, I'm guessing because it was too costly or impractical to reprogram the ECU. Mine was on the dyno for 3 hours with two experts working on it. Results are impressive, and will be better when they figure out how to get the maximum JCW boost levels out of a non-JCW engine. I'm hoping to be their first customer for that upgrade.

More upgrades and another reason to not use a Garrett. Info was added to the previous pdf. For those that read it already, there were no changes to the original version, only additions at the end --- page 6.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Been over a year since my last update. Still getting used to the big power. Finally decided to bite the bullet and talk seriously about a Manic tune. Seems they can use my AP tune as a "base" tune, plus tune for 30PSI without using a fuel (or boost) cut defender, and maybe even get rid of conditions causing my troublesome P2884 / P2885 codes.

Since we have family in the Phoenix area, we decided to work with EuroTechs for a couple days. This dyno chart is my first one with Manic and isn't done with the correct WMI mix --- the mix is changing from 50 - 50 to 80 - 20 for the "daily driving" map, so I need to use up the existing mix. There was some "fine tuning" done after this chart, so there might be even more WHP available. I'm hoping to get another dyno run at ThunderHill mid-Feb, if I can keep it together 'til then.

FYI --- it's a stage 4 tune with my original custom AP map as the "base". Map A is for use without WMI, map B is for daily driving with 80 - 20 WMI, and map C is for 100% meth --- when I need an adrenalin rush!

As with past journal versions, this one doesn't change older info, just adds a new page or two.

Attachments

#4 ·
After 4 ½ years and a couple more engine rebuilds, I've finally reached my max. I gave up on documenting everything in a journal, but I've attached a list of upgrades and dyno charts. I'm not claiming "the baddest Mini out there", but definitely one of them, especially when it's still street legal. One of the international conversions I use to back up my claim is this WHP / BHP chart --- Wheel Horsepower to Crankshaft Horsepower Guestimator it converts my USA 520 WHP to 589 BHP. It uses 15% to convert both ways, which doesn't seem quite right, but probably close enough.

Turbo configuration was chosen for top speed performance --- planning on making a run at our "Texas Mile", a standing start one mile timed run. Targeting 200MPH but realistically, I don't expect much over 190. Notice the power curve doesn't come on 'til mid-4500, so daily driving and around town is almost like an un-modified MCS. Serious handful at high RPM's tho --- scary.

My upgrade list shows Heat Range 9 spark plugs. In a couple weeks, I should have HR 10 plugs on hand. Might be overkill, but I consider them cheap insurance. To date, this setup has been in use for about 5K miles.

I don't recommend my upgrade choices to anyone except those serious about big power. My turbo / ex manifold choice is a "shoe-horn" fit --- had to remove the A/C for the down pipe, cut away part of the radiator fan housing for the waste gate actuator, remove the aux cooling pump (easier turbo plumbing), and slightly relocate the radiator (lowered and tipped forward). A different tubular manifold and an external WG would've been a better choice. Not gonna be a fun drive in the NV desert heat without A/C.

Side note to site admin --- one reason I quit posting was difficulty making it work. Much better now --- thanx. I can provide links to posts on other forums that have my upgrade details, if that's considered acceptable.

Terrible chart - boost and AFR (green) don't have a scale, RPM wasn't done to 7500, and finish wasn't truncated.
Text Line Diagram Parallel Font

This chart shows actual dyno results at my Sparks, NV 4500 ft elevation and the Weather Correction Factor (WCF) shown on the chart.
Text Line Font Document Parallel

Attachments

#5 ·
After 4 ½ years and a couple more engine rebuilds, I've finally reached my max. I gave up on documenting everything in a journal, but I've attached a list of upgrades and dyno charts. I'm not claiming "the baddest Mini out there", but definitely one of them, especially when it's still street legal. One of the international conversions I use to back up my claim is this WHP / BHP chart --- Wheel Horsepower to Crankshaft Horsepower Guestimator it converts my USA 520 WHP to 589 BHP. It uses 15% to convert both ways, which doesn't seem quite right, but probably close enough.

Turbo configuration was chosen for top speed performance --- planning on making a run at our "Texas Mile", a standing start one mile timed run. Targeting 200MPH but realistically, I don't expect much over 190. Notice the power curve doesn't come on 'til mid-4500, so daily driving and around town is almost like an un-modified MCS. Serious handful at high RPM's tho --- scary.

My upgrade list shows Heat Range 9 spark plugs. In a couple weeks, I should have HR 10 plugs on hand. Might be overkill, but I consider them cheap insurance. To date, this setup has been in use for about 5K miles.

I don't recommend my upgrade choices to anyone except those serious about big power. My turbo / ex manifold choice is a "shoe-horn" fit --- had to remove the A/C for the down pipe, cut away part of the radiator fan housing for the waste gate actuator, remove the aux cooling pump (easier turbo plumbing), and slightly relocate the radiator (lowered and tipped forward). A different tubular manifold and an external WG would've been a better choice. Not gonna be a fun drive in the NV desert heat without A/C.

Side note to site admin --- one reason I quit posting was difficulty making it work. Much better now --- thanx. I can provide links to posts on other forums that have my upgrade details, if that's considered acceptable.

Terrible chart - boost and AFR (green) don't have a scale, RPM wasn't done to 7500, and finish wasn't truncated.
View attachment 278197

This chart shows actual dyno results at my Sparks, NV 4500 ft elevation and the Weather Correction Factor (WCF) shown on the chart.
View attachment 278199
A very cool car you have there! I’m building my own little R56 toy, and you’ve given me some ideas... Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.