MINI Cooper Forum banner

Review - AEM Cold Air Intake

10K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Mini_me_123 
#1 ·
I have just received a man sized meccano toy called the AEM Cold air intake. It arrived extremely quickly from the US in just 3 working days. I'm UK based but it was £100 cheaper ordering from US rather than UK.

If anyone is interested this is my first mod (apart from LED sidelights) ill be fitting the CAI tonight and I don't mind writing a review for it as ive looked through the forums and cant really find a definitive answer to how good these systems are and how easy they are to fit.

MIKE

#3 ·
I have just purchased the same intake for my R56 mini. I havent put the intake on yet so I am extremely excited to hear how it is if I don't get it on before you do this write up. I heard that some sag occurs in the hood scoop air funnel so I wrapped it in heat tape to try and keep that from happening and keep the air coming in cool. This is strictly theoretical so who knows if it will have any difference. Please do a write up for us when you get a chance!

#4 ·
Alriht so I have an update, I just put on the intake today and am thrilled. I can post pictures if anyone is interested but the install went well and without a dyno tune and just intuition, I would guess an average hp increase of 7-9, which isn't too bad. Its a noticeable difference which is always hoped for and expected, but doesnt always take place. On my last car (Scion tC), I put a cold air on but didn't notice a difference in performance. My mini also has better throttle response. On the low end, I don't notice much difference but as I wind out 2nd, 3rd and 4th, I can really feel the turbo pushing more boost. Spooling is a bit louder too which is nice. I heat-wrapped the hood scoop intake so to prevent it from being negatively affected by the engine heat and to keep the air coming in cooler too. I felt the inside of the hood scoop intake and the inside was nice and cool which leads me to believe that I am not totally insane. Again I can post pictures of the finished product if anyone is interested but overall the system gets two thumbs up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.