MINI Cooper Forum banner

Best Airfilter?

10K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
So, what's the best air filter to purchase to replace the stock standard one in a 2009 Cooper? I'm picking K&N is probably the answer - but figured there may be others out there I didn't know about.

#5 · (Edited)
Stock paper filters are best ive put a k&n and currently a pipercross on my mini and ive noticed no difference.

Some people say they add hp but they dont any oiled filter is rubbish

most people say they notice a difference but its all placebo

Also i would stay away from washable filters from personal maf sensor experience..

And oiled filters are inherantly restrictive coz of the oil.

And they cost way too much for what they are restrictive money wasters..

Also dirt content if you look at the service intervals of these washable filters it is stupid. 50.000 100.000 miles maybe

A paper filter picks up a sh%t load of dirt after 5-8k so can you imagine how much dirt a reusable filter would pick up within its service interval 50-100k just imagine..

#6 ·
I use a K&N pod on the R50 and am about to swap it back to the OEM system. The Dyno claims are so insignificant as to be hardly worth the cost unless you like the induction noise it creates. Considering that the ECU will adjust the air/fuel mixture back to as close to its original condition there is no difference and as minione2002 stated, its more of a placebo effect.

If one was to use it on a conventional carby induction with no computerization, adjust the jets, exhaust and port the heads, then I would expect a difference. The only way I could see it really working is if one was to have the ECU remapped but it would hardly be worth the cost on top of a pod system IMHO.

One thing to consider, if you have more air entering, then you need more fuel, otherwise your going to be running lean which isn't good for the engine so unless the engine is tuned (re mapped) to the intake with a corresponding exhaust etc, there isn't much point in straying from the original setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.