MINI Cooper Forum banner

best ram intake for r56 jcw: madness, ddm, aem, gruppe m, others?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
which has the best intake out there?

im leaning towards the aem as it is also has a hardpipe kit which saves on buying an alta hard pipe later on

gruppe m looks nice too as it has a large k&n filter

unfortunately i am not able to post links but a quick google (or assistance from another member) should give you an idea of what is out there

#2 ·
a cone style performance filter or any foam offerings are all rubbish
they have been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they do nothing but make that cool intake noise::wink::

also the mini has a factory cold air feed so that makes the aftermarket filter even more useless.

it may look awesome but it does nothing:serious: just stay with the stock filter..

#3 ·
I second this, just removed the cone style filter from my R50 where the manf dyno report showed an insignificant HP increase where I would have to be well and truly exceeding the legal speed limit.

With todays computerization of engine management, you would need to get a remap and also change the exhaust for any true potential gains. They may have worked well on conventional induction where one could mess around with jets and carb settings but todays engine management compensates back to the factory settings.

If you want induction noise, go for it but don't expect better performance above 2-3% which is insignificant. Stick with the OEM setup and change your air filter on a regular basis and if its been a while, consider an ultrasonic clean and flow match of your fuel injectors for better fuel economy and performance.

As a foot note, my R50 is now running smoother, quicker off the mark and giving better fuel returns with the OEM setup. My next expense will be the Injector clean and flow match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.