MINI Cooper Forum banner

race chip

11K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  cjm 
#1 ·
anybody used a RACE CHIP box on a JCW? any good, results please.

#5 ·
Yes, I had it my stock engine and wow, the engine was transformed into a monster, I don't know the longterm impact on the engine, but it felt so powerful, I now replaced a lot of components and went with an ECU napping, first pull with the car after plugging in the racechip was an absolute joy, and was even better than myJCW R56.

#6 ·
Hi. Like Kristopher Ebbert I have a JB+ Burger Motorsports chip (specifically designed for the n18) on my R56 MCS.

It claims to give 20bhp and 30lbft at the wheel by enhancing the turbo boost pressure and I quite believe it! It's like having a third sport button.

There's no extra fuelling or irreversible changes and there's no change in fuel economy (unless you have a very heavy right foot). It's attached at top of the valve cover and removable in seconds. IMO it's like the n18 R56 ought to be 'out of the box' and felt livelier to me than when I recently tried it in an n18 JCW - but this might well be masked by 'slip diff' type software, I suppose.

The ecu needs about 200miles to adjust to it so, bizarrely, it seems to feed the 'extras' in gradually and you tend to notice it more by its absence. I've teamed it up with an ITG filter.

I must admit it seems a bit of a rarity in UK and felt like it was a bit of a gamble (since the general consensus at the time was that 'piggy back' chips never work) but I'm pleased with the extra response and, cynically, I've actually measured the boost increase using Torque Pro/android.

Sadly though, I'm about to bite the F56 MCS bullet and won't be able transfer it or my other R56 n18 'goodies'...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.