MINI Cooper Forum banner

Valve cover port oil leak

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Andrew Rogers 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2010 R56 fJCW which I bought at the beginning of September 2016 from the previous owner who had done some modifications to it, mostly good but one not so good. The bad one relates to the crankcase ventilation systems.

On the left hand side of the engine when looking at the front of the vehicle, the recirculation port into the intake manifold had been capped off and then the corresponding outlet from the valve cover vented to atmosphere. Similarly on the right hand side of the engine, the recirculation port into the turbo feed pipe had been capped off and then the corresponding outlet from the valve cover vented to atmosphere again. This gave a bad oily smell around the car and led to a lot of oily emulsion building up in the front bumper, which I was keen to rectify.

I have reinstated the factory hose for the left hand side ventilation system and then reinstated the right hand ventilation system using some silicone hoses and an oil catch can (see first image below). I did this last Saturday and have since noticed a small oil leak coming from an unknown port on the back of the valve cover (see second and third images below). The volume of oil emitted from this port each day is quite small (~5 ml) but would lead to a significant accumulation if left alone.

I suspect that the leak may be linked to a possible build up of residual oil inside the valve cover as a result of reduced flow through this area when the two valve cover outlets were vented to atmosphere.

Has anyone got any thoughts on why this might be happening and if there's anything I can do to fix it?

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.