MINI Cooper Forum banner

Oil catch can kit

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dad 
#1 ·
I have been reading about the oil catch can modification and it looks interesting. Might fix the oil smell coming through the heater.
How many people have actually installed the kit?
How would you describe your driving style?

#2 ·
You would benefit from catching the oil residue and not have it coating your inlet valves and turning to carbon deposits as your Gen 2 is a direct injection where no fuel passes over the valves to wash the oil off and that's about it. If you have oil fumes in the cabin I would be looking for oil leaks off the engine which are burning on hot components and the resulting fumes entering via your air vents.

When you think that your combustion was designed to burn a fuel air mixture, adding oil to the mix was never a good idea in the first place and all cars should have a catch can.

#3 ·
The oil smell is coming through the turbo charged air pipe and the sound gerantor into the passenger compartment. At high rev or higher turbo pressure it is almost unbarable. The plastic turbo tube on the right inner fender had a heavily coated of oil on the inside and right down to the sound generator. There are no external oil leaks. I am in Canada and need the heater in -15 Celsius.
The car has 195,000 on the clock, however there is no oil smoke.
The reason for the oil can question it would stop the oil from collecting in the pipes. My only other thought is that the oil seals in the turbo are leaking and how do l can that? The turbo outlet pipe is dry and free of oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.