MINI Cooper Forum banner

turbo upgrades

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Tigger2011 
#1 ·
apart from putting the jcw turbo on has anyone done any other turbo changes to an r56? also when changing the turbo have you got to remap at the same time down to the change in ratios or is there not much change?

cheers

#2 ·
From my personal experience (understand this as advice) don't go that way. I have spent on my wife's R56 SD ton of money because I took a lot of parts from 525 (turbo, nozzles and PF) then some custom parts like intercooler, exhaust from akrapovic (redone from petrol engine) and custom exhaust manifold. This is all hardware then the software part you have to find someone with mad skills who will connect the hardware part with software part (the ECU unit is tricky one). Because you have to adjust the ratio between air and fuel mixture in a cylinder and the best thing to do it is on a rollers where you can see in nearly the same conditions different settings of engine (maps) where you can adjust the engine properly.

#4 ·
The ECU will adapt to a certain extent to the JCW turbo but at WOT there will be some leaning out which is NOT a good thing. If you go that route a remap is highly recommended. I have a 2012 JCW Coupe with X51 turbo. It's a 51x66mm billet KO4 hybrid with proprietary turbine wheel we designed. Being a Manic dealer it is of course running a Manic Stage 3 meth tune designed for the turbo. Currently at 291whp and still have stock internals with the exception of ARP rod bolts and head studs. It's my daily driver so that's about as far as I was willing to push the JCW pistons. Factory clutch didn't handle the previous Stage 2 meth tune for long so I added an OS Giken twin disc clutch and Wavetrac LSD. Currently at 56K miles and its been tuned since 21K miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.