MINI Cooper Forum banner

My JCW GP2

11K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Czar 
#1 ·
This is memoriam of my late father.

Hello, way back in March 2013 myself and my late father walked into the MINI showroom at our local dealer JCT600 I had heard the hype about the 2nd generation JCW GP2 but never seen one in the flesh, however sitting pride of place central position in the showroom was a JCW GP2 my late father was instantly smitten, and although my late father had a current driving license, due to a fall in 2012 he broke his Right humor bone, and that sadly put an end to any driving ambition :-(

So as I would do absolutely anything for my late father, we placed our order for a new factory built JCW GP2 there and then no ifs or buts, with that Said my late father was now all excited regarding his impending JCW GP2 delivery, and we watched all the JCW GP2 YouTube clips available.

Now some of you maybe aware that a short time after ordering the JCW GP2 my late father was diagnosed terminally ill with Cancer, and sadly the diagnosis was weeks and a maybe a few months, rather than months and years :-( the JCW GP2 arrived at JCT600 the second week in April 2013 sadly my late father never got to see his JCW GP2 which has been sitting in the storage compound at JCT600 ever since.

My late father sadly passed away on Sunday 9th June 2013 and so on Friday 21st June 2013 I finally agreed to continue with my late fathers ordered JCW GP2 of which will be in memoriam to my late father with a few cosmetic and performance touches, which will put a smile on his face :)

But for now here she is sporting her PDI suspension ride height, which will be adjusted to the normal road ride height tomorrow, she will stay just as she is for now, not cleaned, de-stickered or any protective plastic covers removed, I will be collecting her on Friday 28th June 2013 she will then be treated to a professional detail and then put away, her first outing will be to MITP 2013.

Her number is 1880 of the 2000 worldwide.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good evening, today I have had the opportunity to check, adjust and fine tune the suspension on my JCW GP2 whilst adjusting the tyre pressures to suit the suspension adjustments, and after 111 miles of testing and adjustments the end result is nothing short of amazing, the JCW GP2 straight from the factory is excellent, spend a little time adjusting and fine tuning the suspension and under bonnet strut brace, the excellence is transformed into sure footed crisp precise turn in and control.

Furthermore, now that I have woken the engine up, with large amounts of hard throttle, the engine delivers savagely smooth instant growling power all the way to the Red line, it really is quite relentless in its delivery, and if your slickly quick with the gear changes the JCW GP2 is a very capable and rewarding drive, it really doesn't need vast amounts of power, it is very very potent straight out of the box, and will quite happily shame other hot hatches and bigger more powerful cars.

All in all anyone still lucky enough to be thinking about one, or indeed wanting one, while they are still available, don't hesitate just do it, I guarantee you'll be smiling each and every time you get in, and your smile will grow as you accelarate hard then a quick dab of the fabulous brakes before each twist and turn, enjoying the effortless precision from the very well weighted and balanced steering, before squeezing hard on the throttle accelerating through the slick gears to the next twist or turn, without any torque steer.

#3 ·
Should you be giving it large amounts of hard throttle from the word go though and red lining it? Hmmm I dont think MINI would say that, they say keep the revs down under 4000 for the first 500 miles.
This is why I never buy a high performance car second hand or one Jeremy Clarkson had run in.
The handbook says take it easy for the first 500 miles to give the engine, clutch, brakes and tyres a chance to bed in?
Plus if you dont run them in properly the engines always tend to use oil more throughout the rest of its life.

#4 ·
Thank you for your comments/opinions, however, what you say regarding the "break in" (run in) period for the engine is incorrect, and my 28 years and counting of top flight Motorsport engine development stands me in good stead, all my engines are broken in the way I describe, and none of them have used more or excess oil, throughout their life.

#7 · (Edited)
Hi Czar,

firstly please accept my condolences on the loss of your Dad, having now lost both parents I have an idea how you are feeling, and all I can say is that time is a great healer.

regarding thrashing a brand new car/engine my own opinion is that this is not wise.

while I appreciate that with modern technology,tolerances, etc the same running in period is not required as in previous years, but a " bedding in "
period allows engine, gearbox, brakes, tyres, etc to operate together in unison, before being pushed to their limit.

and I would estimate about 1000mls of varied driving conditions would serve this purpose.

maybe an old fashioned view in your opinion Czar, but I'm willing to learn from your reply !!

Iain

#8 ·
Called in to my local dealer JCT600 Saturday 20th July, just to say hi and thank you to the sales staff, and a promised drive of my GP2 to Debbie of the sales team staff who dealt with the purchase of the GP2, upon Debbie's return after her promised drive, Debbie commented on how the turbo screamed, I didn't say anything at the time, as I hadn't heard the turbo scream, however when I drove away, sure enough there is a definitive induction scream with a noticeable reduction in throttle response power, I must point out this has nothing to do with Debbie from the sales team, it is a pure coincidence, I have monitored this on each and every drive since, and the induction scream is still there, it's not a loud induction scream, nevertheless it is audibly noticeable, so there is definitely a charge pressure leak to match the reduction in throttle response power!

My GP2 seems to be turning out to be of either a Monday morning or Friday afternoon build, I have noticed other slight issues, besides the rear window water seal falling off, my bonnet decal is not straight, the trailing edge of the carbon fibre roof spoiler is a very poor finish it has a rough unsealed finish to the rolled trailing edge, the passenger seat rattles, there is a knocking from the N/S/R and all this with less than 700 miles on the clock!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.