MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini JCW possible clutch issue?

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  fastandred 
#1 · (Edited)
SWMBO who drives the JCW most of the time is complaining of an occasional burning smell. The car does few miles, and is a Sept 59 plate, 28k miles.

I drove the car and when its cold, there is a fair amount of clutch judder, which reduces when it warms up. The pedal feels a bit heavy to me, but that could be just me. Maybe the JCW has a heavy clutch?

I can't make it slip, even giving it beans in sports mode (which my wife does not, so she tells me!)

There is an odd smell though. Its not the usual hot brakes/clutch burn smell, I would say its an 'electrical' smell - like a hot circuit board kind of smell, and seems to be coming from the aircon. It comes and goes.

The car drives fine, and apart from the cold judder, I can't really fault it other than this odd smell, which to be honest, is pretty faint.

We have had the car a year, and so far it has had a new catalytic converter after repeated engine warnings, and reduced performance. That was about 1000 miles ago, so should have burnt in by now.

Are the clutches strong in these cars? I dont think its been abused in a previous ownership, but I suppose I will never know.

Planning a trip to the Alps next spring, so want it to be as ready as possible.

See less See more
#2 ·
Clutch judder can be because the engine mountings are too soft, maybe they are breaking up due to oil leaking onto them?
Or hydrualic engine mount is losing its fluid or theres oil on the clutch plate and lining due to a failed engine/gearbox oil seal?

Electrical smell might be due to the heater blower resistor getting too hot and starting to break down?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.