MINI Cooper Forum banner

2009 JCW Turbo upgrade

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Cooper R 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advise regarding the turbo on my mini JCW which has decided to die on me!

Obviously the turbo need replacing but my question is that is it worth getting an OEM replacement turbo as a direct replacement for what I have or as it got to be changed anyway should I look at upgrading the turbo to something else which is better then the OEM, reliable, better built, more power output etc.

The car as it stands is completely stock but if I did change the turbo to an upgrade I would look to do the air intake/re map as well. Any thoughts, advice or experiences would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Tom.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advise regarding the turbo on my mini JCW which has decided to die on me!

Obviously the turbo need replacing but my question is that is it worth getting an OEM replacement turbo as a direct replacement for what I have or as it got to be changed anyway should I look at upgrading the turbo to something else which is better then the OEM, reliable, better built, more power output etc.

The car as it stands is completely stock but if I did change the turbo to an upgrade I would look to do the air intake/re map as well. Any thoughts, advice or experiences would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Tom.

Hi Tom
Fortunately I had no failures with our engine but I was going through a gradual tuning on our R56 SD LCI and tuning a diesel is a nightmare. The answer to the larger turbo is if you want to do it right (without fear that it will blow) very simple you need to upgrade pistons, connecting rod's with bearings, crankshaf bearings, injectors, Cat of DPF(for diesel), air intake and exhaust, and than
a good custom re-map which will connect all that and of course a lot of will, effort and money (it was easier to buy for my wife 330d but we love our mini). Simple advice put OEM turbo.::wink::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.