MINI Cooper Forum banner

calling all web spoke owners!

16K views 59 replies 23 participants last post by  bjerk 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all:
I went ahead and opted for the web spoke upgrade when I recieved delivery in mid april. but just recently the web spokes started clicking when I would put the car in motion. its rather annoying. it sounded like it might be the wheel bearings or something but it was definitely the wheels themselves making the noise! All four of them.

just wondering, Is that is normal for a wheel that is 2 piece construction wheel?

I took mine back to the dealer and they are replacing them all under warranty. the dealer thinks I took my mini off roading or mistreated the car that caused them to loosen but I would never treat a car that way. I take very good care of my cars. especially my mini.

I think its because of the heat and the wheel might be expanding/contracting. just my guess though. It seems I noticed the clicking just when it hit 90 degrees for several days in a row. Or perhaps they were all defective. but all four seems kinda odd. has any other web spoke owners had similar experiences?

dc

#4 ·
well i guess the temperature thing is not the cause. maybe i hit one to many bumps.

not sure if they tried retightening the bolts and if that would fix the problem. they were quick to just reorder the new set rather than tinker with the set i have now... not that im complaining. good to hear that its not a common thing.
dc

#5 ·
I have noticed a ticking for some time. After reading this post I think all 4 of my web spoke wheels are the culprit. When the car first begins to move after sitting for a few hours the ticking is louder and quick after rollling a hundred feet or so ithe ticking settles down but is still there. My car only has 1150 miles on it.

#6 ·
Just got my mini only done 300 kms, so havent noticed, will be travelling for a few days so will listen on my return as would have sat in garage.
I would like to know, as no one has posted to a question thread, but with the mini [my first] do they react more to the camber of the road. With my other larger cars, you could let the steering wheel go even on a camber and it would take some time for the car to drift.
The MCS however on both sides is very responsive. Is this due to the 17" rims and run flat or is my alignment out?
Also I put on Eibachs.

#7 ·
I'm also having the clicking/ticking noise coming from the webspokes. But its not doing it all the time. I've notived it during the first couple of weeks but thought i didnt think anything of it since no one had a similar problem. Let me know whats the reason of the noise. thanks

#8 ·
Pamlico said:
Quiet webspokes here. Was your problem that the bolts holding the two parts together were loosening up? Could they be retightened?
The dealer said they did try to tighten the bolts up but it had no affect on the ticking noise. They said that the problem might be that the holes for the bolts were drilled slightly too large, so as the wheels turn the bolts would constantly shift, causing the ticking noise. The drill bit was probably at the end of its life cycle or something like that. but I still am suspicious because the ticking noise didn't start until about 1500 miles. I would think it that were the case the ticking would have been present from the begining. I have about 1800 miles now and it definitely shows no sign of getting quieter.

I should be getting four new wheels soon.

#9 ·
nike61 said:
Just got my mini only done 300 kms, so havent noticed, will be travelling for a few days so will listen on my return as would have sat in garage.
I would like to know, as no one has posted to a question thread, but with the mini [my first] do they react more to the camber of the road. With my other larger cars, you could let the steering wheel go even on a camber and it would take some time for the car to drift.
The MCS however on both sides is very responsive. Is this due to the 17" rims and run flat or is my alignment out?
I would guess that is normal. just try going over a speed bump, slowly at an angle, and letting go of the steering wheel.... and watch the steering wheel turn violently. Im not sure it is because of the 17" wheels since i dont have another cooper to compare it with. but its probably got mostly to do with the stiffer suspension.

That is why I always have a firm grip on the wheel... and it just feels good in my hand too. :cool:
dc

#10 ·
Gripping the steering wheel is like well... just a joy of the three spoke.

I have r90s and a click in one. Never thought it could be the wheel. Neither did the dealership. Got a new clutch. Well. I'll mention it this time as a possible culprit along with the brake pad theory. Maybe they'll try that tried and true half-shaft replacement i recommended strongly last time (worked in my last MINI's identical problem)...

best of luck getting your wheels sorted. I like the over-boared excuse.

#11 ·
I have web spokes with a different problem, not clicking. Take a look at this picture taken the day of delivery:

I didn't notice this till after the second time I had to fill the tire with air - it was down to 28psi! I had to go back and look at my pictures to verify it's origination. The bolt head is stripped right off.

800 miles and I've had to fill the tire 4 times :mad: So is this safe?

#15 ·
abbydog3 said:
Clicking, I just have the noise from one wheel. I kept thinking that I had a nail in my tire.

The noise started at mile 320 and is still present at odo 1100.

I will see what the dealer says.
At first it sounded like a rock was in my tread. I cant count the number of times I ran my hand over the treads, let alone the amount of hand soap used to wash my hands, thinking there was something lodged in my treads.

Mine also started in one wheel, the front left, then the two left wheels.... after I took it in to the dealer, they said it was coming from all four wheels. :eek: my replacement wheels should be coming soon.
dc

#16 ·
Great

bjerk said:
At first it sounded like a rock was in my tread. I cant count the number of times I ran my hand over the treads, let alone the amount of hand soap used to wash my hands, thinking there was something lodged in my treads.

Mine also started in one wheel, the front left, then the two left wheels.... after I took it in to the dealer, they said it was coming from all four wheels. :eek: my replacement wheels should be coming soon.
dc
I don't like my dealer, wasn't ready to see them again. They offer me a 2 for 1, break two things for each item I request fixed. It is better that the odo service reminder, because it ensures I re-visit the dealer.

So was it a safety issue, like the bolts are going to fall out?

...thanks for the post, now I know the clicking noise is real - just need to build the strength to go see the dealer.

#17 ·
abbydog3 said:
I don't like my dealer, wasn't ready to see them again. They offer me a 2 for 1, break two things for each item I request fixed. It is better that the odo service reminder, because it ensures I re-visit the dealer.

So was it a safety issue, like the bolts are going to fall out?

...thanks for the post, now I know the clicking noise is real - just need to build the strength to go see the dealer.
No safety issue. the SA specifically said its perfectly safe to drive on.

just really really annoying/embarassing when u drive up along side of people. especially when you are trying to pick up chicks ;) just kidding

#19 ·
I had all four wheels replaced on friday, and I already heard the ticking again, with just about 40 miles of granny style driving. I am just about ready to ask them for a refund or exchange for a different wheel style.

It was funny too because as soon as i heard the clicking again I drove straight to the dealer. And the wheels decided not to click at the dealer, but then I drove home and it started again. I'm going back to the dealer on wednesday for a faulty air bag sensor anyways so we'll see if the wheels decide to speak up when I'm there

Again, it was a really hot an humid weekend in chicago, just like the first time I noticed the clicking. But I'm not absolutely positive thats the reason for it.

dc

#21 ·
Mine are clicking like crazy too. It's really driving me nuts! I have about 2,000 miles on my Web-Spokes right now and it's been doing it for at least the last 1,000 miles or so. I had no idea what was causing it until I saw this thread and a similar one over on NAM. I too thought that it was something stuck in my tire, but I couldn't find anything. Then I started thinking that it was the ABS sensor, pad ware sensor, or something wrong with my JCW brakes. It doesn't seem to affect the car any, but it sure is annoying. I'd also hate to see one of the rims come apart at highway speed one day. Mine seems localized to one rim, but I guess that I won't know for sure until that one's replaced and I can listen to the others.

Oy! :rolleyes:

#23 ·
bjerk said:

dc

Same exact problem. Can't tell you how many times I got out of the car looking for a nail. Never thought it was the wheel. Thanks for the post, I'll bring it up next trip to the dealer.

#24 ·
I also have the 17" web spokes on my '05 MCS. Currently have 2,700 miles and had the ticking sound over the last maybe 1,500 miles. Last time I took the car in to the dealer about the ticking (and some other problem) they never heard the noise. When I picked it up there was magically no ticking, despite it's consistency prior to taking it to the dealer. The ticking returned as soon as I got the car home. :mad:

This time they heard the ticking and the initial reaction was that they were stumped. They put another set of wheels on, and no ticking was present so they knew it was a wheel problem. They said everything was tight on the vehicle. Even though my tech rep said he heard the ticking on 3 of the 4 wheels (as I had described), they ended up only replacing the one wheel they claimed was consistently ticking. After replacing the one wheel there was (coincidentally) no ticking on the other 2 wheels, but I have no doubt that the ticking will return on them, which will be the 4th visit to the dealer since the April 15 delivery. :(

I just picked up the car today and so far so good, but I expect more ticking any time now.

I live in the Atlanta area where it is quite hot and humid. When the ticking returns and I take it back to the dealer I'm seriously considering asking for a different (but equally valued) set of wheels, as these apparently have either a design flaw or some serious manufacturing issues.

Still love the car, but am tired of the numerous issues encountered thus far in only the first 3 months of ownership.

- John

#25 ·
lots of tickers out there

I counted 8 different posts with claims of the web spokes or r90's ticking so far. :eek: Certainly more cases of ticking than I originally thought. I can just imagine that most of the cases are going unnoticed or mis diagnosed, which shows that this might be a sign of a much wider scale problem.

My mini is gonna get an official visit by the "Mini Rep" on Monday to determine what action to take. I'll keep ya posted. So far my dealer is been more than cooperative and understanding. Hopefully the "Mini Rep" understands my frustration thus far.

dc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.