MINI Cooper Forum banner

Heavy steering & dodgy computer.. help me Obi-Wan-Mini-2-Forumites!

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  k3fus 
#1 ·
You're my only hope. Ok enough Star Wars references...

I'm looking for some help or advice from someone who might have some knowledge of the issues I've been having.

I've got a 65 plate Mini Cooper, had it 6 months (it was a demonstrator, off the lot). It's been perfect thus far, never enjoyed driving so much! Unfortunately this week a couple of things have happened and I wondered if anyone else had experienced this:

First off, the DAB radio suddenly popped up 'no signal'. Then I noticed all of my saved stations had disappeared. After a couple of days the DAB signal returned. A day after that, whilst driving, the on-board computer crashed.. it rebooted itself after about 5 mins so I thought all was fine.

Yesterday, while my wife was parking (new driver, there was a lot of wheel turning), an error popped up: 'increased steering effort' with the exclamation in a triangle alert on the dash. We turned the car off and on again (what else can you do) and the alert disappeared.

This morning I noticed the steering is WAY heavier than usual (I love the heavy steering/go-kart aspect to the car but this doesn't feel normal) and the wheel is now creaking slightly.

Guys, any thoughts? Do you think it's all related, possibly an electrical fault?

Any help very very gratefully received. Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong board!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.