MINI Cooper Forum banner

Ok so who has ordered an F56 MCS?

26K views 52 replies 28 participants last post by  smithyithy 
#1 ·
Just wondered if anyone on here has ordered an F56 as it seems very quiet:confused:

I have taken the plunge (actually Mrs W has) and am looking forward to it arriving in March.

#3 ·
Are there no other orders on the forum? I used to use this site years ago and am gobsmacked that there appears to be so little interest in the F56!

What have I I missed?

Anyway thought I'd have a look here as we're thinking about a new F56 for my wife.

Any in showrooms yet?

#5 ·
In the showrooms on March 15th. Not sure why there is a lack of interest. I know there has been some debate about the look of the car so perhaps people are reserving judgement until it is out and about.

#12 ·
I went to have a look at one today.

To put this into perspective, we sold our R53 Cooper S back in 2010, after which I moved on to a Mk 2 Focus RS and then a Land Rover Freelander 2. Consequently, my expectations of space are a little compromised.

However, when I got in, my head was resting simultanously on the head restraint, the roof lining and the section of the roof where the sideways sun visor fits. When I got out of the car, I had to bend my neck to get under the top of the door aperture. When I closed the door from the inside, I had to put my elbow into the oval door cut out, or wind the window down and leave my elbow sticking out of the window, Land Rover Defender style!

I had heard big things about the increase in boot volume, but I couldn't really tell any difference :confused:

Genuine question: Have my expectations changed, or is it a bit tighter inside than it used to be? :confused: :confused:

#14 ·
4000 Advance Orders - MINI success story worth celebrating - From Oxford Mail
Thursday 13th March 2014

"THERE is a stand-out figure that truly shows the quality of the motor vehicles produced in this city: 4,000 advance orders for the third generation Mini have been made before anyone has seen the car.
Today our Motoring Editor, David Duffy, gives his verdict on the latest version of the Oxford Mini.
It goes on sale on Saturday and he is mightily impressed.
The Mini plant is a core part of this city and is rightly valued.
But sometimes local pride can blind us a little over how the Mini is viewed further afield.
There are 900 a day rolling off the production line, but even the most ardent critic of the little motor cannot quibble with that queue of 4,000 waiting to get behind the wheel of the new generation."
Mini success story worth celebrating (From Oxford Mail)

Our motoring man gives new Mini a spin + Video (From Oxford Mail)

#16 ·
"...There are 900 a day rolling off the production line, but even the most ardent critic of the little motor cannot quibble with that queue of 4,000 waiting to get behind the wheel of the new generation."
Before we take the BMW Press Release too seriously, that's a pre-sale of just over 4 days' production, which will include stock orders for all dealers worldwide :hmph:

#18 ·
Took one out for a test drive yesterday, an S in Volcanic Orange. Curiously my original dealer cancelled my prebooked drive due to 'reliability issues' with their S - a bit concerning!
I rebooked with another local dealer so still have the original invitation open...

Must say I wasn't as blown away as I was hoping to be. I really wanted to be smitten but certainly wasn't compelled to get my chequebook out on the spot! The interior seemed stunning in feel and appearance - the controls, the XL screen, and the other displays really are representative as a quality item. The seating position felt fine with the usual adjustability, although I also felt the intrusion of the side visor - is it an optional extra or are we stuck with it? Ours had a panoramic roof and there was still plenty of headroom above, just noted the visor against the side / top of my head on occasion. The glass roof was great and certainly opened up the interior. The space in the back was pretty good and the boot seemed reasonable too although the split level floor makes it initially seem small. Ours also had a centre arm rest which for me seemed to interfere with using the handbrake - I'd skip that option!

The handling was definately classically MINI, very direct steering and felt 'planted'. The noise intrusion and ride was pretty good on 17s but felt firm when you wanted it too, not sure if it was on RFTs as I know they're now optional. I think any former MINI owner (we had an 05 convertible sold in 08) will recognise the familiar characteristics bit I didn't get a chance to push it hard. It felt safe and darty but not necessarily exciting... I need a longer drive!

The most significant issue for me was with the power. I'm not sure if I've just become desensitised to quickish cars but it didn't seem as accelerative as its figures suggest, certainly low down torque wasn't 'there' as much as I'd expect although I didn't really take the rev counter to its upper reaches. I'm coming from a Focus ST, golf mk6 gti, and Corsa VXR as recent comparisons. Maybe the engine was tight but I'd like another go on emptier roads for a second chance!

As a class act it's in a different league to the like of the Fiesta ST and Clio RS but I reckon both will trounce the F56 for excitement in the obvious forthcoming group tests!

I'm gonna try and get another drive in the week so will update as and when...

#19 ·
I wonder if there are issues with the MCS model...... I hope not.

I ordered mine at the beginning of December in the UK and up until very recently was told delivery would be in the week beginning 24 March. Apparently it hasn't been built yet and no MCSs in the dealership group will arrive until early to mid April.

Has anyone else got issues with delivery dates being pushed back? 4,000 advance orders at 900 cars per day shouldn't be an issue at all!

#20 ·
As of Saturday our car was status confirmed by production control and the system was showing as due to the dealer on the 26th March.
We had originally been given build week 11 so ours has slipped a week so far.

#29 ·
Quick post to say that amidst reports of delays for various reasons our car turned up at the dealer a day early and we picked up the car yesterday.

Impressed with the car so far and Mrs w is happy and that is the main thing. :D

Attachments

#33 ·
I'm anxiously awaiting my Volcanic Orange F56.... found out ship name (Columbia Highway) and tracked it separately, showing it reached Baltimore on 4/1. ol.miniusa.com still shows 'In Transit' -- and I was hoping it would have caught up by now. I was told it would take another two weeks to get it to Texas after that.... but I can always be optimistic....

The dealer here is doing the "Bloody Original Launch Event" on Sat Apr 12, maybe I'll get lucky and mine is in their first batch.

#34 ·
Collected our MCS on Friday, fantastic piece of kit, the new engine is different to previous versions far superior,Inside the car quality much improved. My only negative comments are that there is no Wallet for the cars paperwork and I cannot control my Phone by voice via Bluetooth (I Phone 5) .

#36 ·
I haven't ordered one yet, but does anybody know an estimated time of how long it takes to build and ship generally if I ordered it instead of buying from a dealer lot. Reason I ask is none of the dealers around me have one with the anthracite headliner and I really do not want a two tone car. One of the dealers keeps calling me begging me to take their F56 that already has 600 miles on it because the manager used it as his daily driver the day it arrived, and the car everybody has been test driving. He wont even give me a cent off of the MSRP. NO THANKS! Everytime I say that I want to just order a build instead of take the car on the lot they keep telling me to just compromise with what I want and take the one they have their.

I'm honestly so ****ed off with that place that I will be either going to a different mini dealership or buying a different brand like VW or Audi.

#39 ·
Misses has one on order and cannot wait...arriving this coming week....volcanic orange with black roof and black cosmos spoke alloys...did not build the car but this one has some nice options like anthracite roof lining, sunroof and truffle leather interior. Think this combo will look smashing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.