LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oil Change

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me? I have a mini one D 2016 with 8500 miles on it. It is just coming to a year old now. My onboard computer said I needed a service so I took it into the mini dealer. The computer was checked and I was told that the computer had been set incorrectly to the date of manufacture instead of when it was put on the road. They then reset the computer and it is now saying that my first service will be in another year or another 10000 miles. I have talked to a few local garages who have said that, although it is long life oil in the engine, they would not recommend going more than a year or 6-7k miles without an oil and filter change. I know the onboard computer is meant to calculate the driving style to calculate when the oil needs changing but should it really be left 2 years? When I asked the mini garage about this they said to just leave it for the 2 years as I have the TLC pack.

Also, does anyone know what type of engine the new mini one D has. I have been told the petrol is just a Peugeot engine but I can't find any information on the diesel.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2017, 09:11 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)

United Kingdom

The new One D is a BMW diesel as far as I know and your mechanic is spot on the dot. 6-7k for oil changes is perfect for any engine. BMW's service intervals leave a lot to be desired and the TLC package is a pile of shyte

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

HI Sean,

Thanks for the reply. Well after contacting all of the mini dealers near me they have all said that I can not have an oil change until the car says, which will be just under 19000 miles or 2 years. They have said that if I go ahead and have it done somewhere else it will invalidate my cars warranty and TLC pack. Looks like I'm just going to have to leave it and see what happens....

Thanks for confirming that its a BMW engine.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 02:52 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom

You can still get the oil/ filter changed but leave the trip computer alone. Genuine filters are about 17 and genuine oil is about 23 is you know where to look

I self service my cars and my wife's car is the daily and mileage muncher and that car gets services about 3 to 4 times per year and I reset the service counter only when it flashes up on the dash.

The TLC package is just a scam anyway and not worth the paper its written on. Its just extra income for BMW/ MINI thats all!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

I would like to say I knew where to start but I would end up doing it wrong and have a broken one year old Mini

I have contacted Mini UK to ask why, when I own the car, I would not be able to go above and beyond the recommended oil changes as, as far as I can tell, it can only benefit the car. Im sure it couldn't be detrimental to the car, could it?

I might get a reply......
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 04:53 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom

The bottom line is car manufacturers don't want the cars to last because they want you to buy new cars from them every few years. Last year I took my 2008 Clubman to BMW to make a paint warranty claim and as expected they tried to wriggle out of it. My car had at the time 130,000 miles on the clock and a BMW service history up until approx 60,000 miles and there after it was serviced by the previous owner religiously every 10,000 miles with paperwork to back this up as well as the book stamped. BMW tried to deny my paint claim saying that my car wan't serviced at BMW and the correct oil/ filters weren't used so therefor the claim was invalid. I told the warranty manager that this was a very bold claim to make and asked him if he could prove that my car hasn't had the correct oil/ filters. I also offered him there and then to inspect my oil filter and take a sample of my engine oil for testing as I self service my own car and only use OEM parts as well as email him on the spot my service records for my car as I keep a digital file which I can access anywhere at anytime though my cloud storage. In his next breath he gave me a start date for the work to commence on the car. It took BMW 10 weeks to repair my car after I rejected it 3 times due to poor workmanship and even at that I still had to correct a few things after it came out of the bodyshop. They even managed to install the rer wiper motors in the wrong doors when the motors are clearly labelled LEFT and RIGHT! This is just 1 or several issues I've had with main dealers and I simply don't trust them one bit!
Milpol likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2017, 05:32 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

Australia Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniman12345 View Post
I would like to say I knew where to start but I would end up doing it wrong and have a broken one year old Mini

I have contacted Mini UK to ask why, when I own the car, I would not be able to go above and beyond the recommended oil changes as, as far as I can tell, it can only benefit the car. Im sure it couldn't be detrimental to the car, could it?

I might get a reply......
Consider joining a local club, there is always someone handy with a spanner and happy to help out. Many years ago in the UK (70's from memory), the RAC did a comparison on an engine strip down between a little old ladies shopping runabout and a taxi. The taxi was well and truly around the clock with low mileage on the old ladies car. The Taxi's engine was still well within limits with regular low km oil changes where the old ladies with low miles and standard service oil changes was worn out. Same for the gearbox, filled for life (who's life ?), maybe 100,000kms ? and then your up for a new gearbox as the microscopic debris suspended in the old oil has worn the synchro rings out or even the bearings. To claim that shorter oil changes would void a warranty by even a qualified mechanic is utter rubbish, one would agree if you were doing oil changes well after the service requirement. Oil and filters are cheap insurance compared to an engine.
SeanC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.