newbie - MINI Cooper Forum

Welcome New Members New members, please introduce yourself here. Tell us a bit about you and your Mini.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Smile newbie

Hi all,

new to here and to the new era mini, had a 1965 and a 1985 in the past but have had diesel cars for as long as i can remember.

i have just bought for the Mrs an 02 cooper but have no pics as yet.

there is a reason for this and that is that i bought it off a chap on the industrial estate where i work, it has been stood for 6 months and was bought by him as a non runner. he spent some dosh on it and has had a new head gasket etc to get it running, however, it when warm misfires and plays up so he has not spent any more on it as he only wanted it for the no plate, he was going to MOT it and then do a transfer but was not keen on spending any more money on it (i think he is suffering a bit in the climate to be honest). so during a conflab with him talk got round to the mini and after a small haggle i am now the proud owner of a bright red with white roof and wheels mini cooper.
a pal of mine is a mechanic (not a fitter) and i have sent it down for him to give it the once over, fix it and mot it.
am really impressed with what i have seen so far and the Mrs seems to like it too, which is always handy.

when i have bought other vehicles in the past and joined forums, some had standard type modifications that were always recommended to new owners from past and present owner's experiences.

are there any on the mini i should look to carry out as a matter of course please guys?

when i get the car back i will put up pics etc or if i get the chance do a time line thingy perhaps.

thnx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2014, 12:22 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Welcome to Mini2!

I also come from a classic Mini background, the new MINI's are also great fun to drive and handle well.

The weakspot on early Mini's like yours (and mine!) is the Rover Midland gearbox fitted for which it is essential to change the oil every year or two to prolong bearing life and depending on annual mileage. It uses MTF94 2 litres and under BMW servicing never gets changed as they say 'filled for life'........
Later post 2004 MINI's and the Cooper S got a stronger Getrag gearbox.

As with the classic Mini many of the upgrades involve using parts from the Cooper S models, lots of info on the New MINI forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.