is the car been modded at all, something like a 17% sc pulley or similar ?
with out a diag tool you will be just throwing money down the drain.
you have a few options
1) find a member local that has a diag tool
2) buy a cheep one from ebay £20 - £30
3) buy the bmw dis and lead from ebay £30 and load it on a laptop then you have full diag capability
4) buy something abit more expensive like and ultra gauge or scan gauge these are a very good day to day tool for keeping an eye on coolant temps as the gauge on your car is for show only
5) find a freindy AA, RAC man see if he will help out for a beer
with all modern cars it is worth having a diag tool saves you so much time and money
once you have the code then you will find your problem, this problem could be caused by one of the 4 wheel speed/ABS sensors, ABS pump, DME, damaged wiring under the engine bay fuse box, damaged wiring around the ABS pump TBH the list goes on
if you post a rough area someone here may have a diag tool they can help you out with.
to start with you could check all your fuses, pop of the wheels check for damaged wiring and bad/ corroded connectors where the ABS lead connects to the car.
have a good look around the wiring for damage around the ABS pump.
normally as you work back from the plug on the ABS module as the wiring loom, it runs down and under the module you my find it has worn throw the loom on the underside / corner of the module
or on the earlier cars the TPMS module can get wet if you have a leak in the boot area so might be worth checking
this link may help with the fuses http://www.mini2.com/forum/maintenan...th-points.html
hope this help