Mini Cooper Wind Deflector
My 2005 Mini Convertible wind deflector deteriorated to the point that just touching it produced holes in the fabric. I just completed a successful restoration of the fabric as follows:
The windscreen is very similar to a screen door. The problem is finding suitable fabric to replace the original cloth material. I found the best material in a fabric store and it is called "Pet Netting". It is slightly thicker than the original fabric and installs into the wind deflector frame using a window screen screen spline roller, avialable at HomeDepot. After forcing the fabric down into the groove of the frame, the original spline would not fit into the spline groove but .125 inch black screen spline, available at HomeDepot, worked beautifully. After forcing the spline into the groove all around, I added one more "layer" of spline material which pretty much brought the spline flush with the surface of the fabric. The whole process takes a few hours and a little elbow grease to force the spline in and get the fabric very tight and free of "bubbles". Pulling tightly on the edge of the fabric as the spline was installed resulted in a perfect installation. I cut the new material about 1-1/2 to 2-inches larger than the wind screen frame to compensate for the material that was forced down into the spline groove. The excess fabric can be sliced flush with the outside, top edge of the spline, but takes a very sharp mat knife and very careful cutting to avoid slicing into the new spline.
The finished wind screen has the same visibility as the original material and performs as well on the freeway to prevent "back draft" of the wind. The only downside to the installation is the windscreen, probably, cannot be folded up, but must remain in fully opened position, although I have not tried to fold it up. As I said the new material is thicker and much stronger that the original cloth fabric. By the way, the original spline pulls out easily by gripping with a small vice grips or plyers and pulling up to remove the old spline and fabric. I finished off the installation with a black magic marker all around the edge to hide some of the loose threads.
I hope this helps some you more adventuresome Mini owners out there.