MINI Cooper Forum banner

2002 Mini Cooper S

529 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mr55p 
#1 ·
Hello All,

My Cooper S is/was a Belter until a few niggles became major issues.

1st-of the Engine light and EMS light both came on. Using a Diagnostic Box it was the Throttle Potentiometer and Accelerator pedal.

Almost immediately, the traction control light came on as well as the run flat light.

I replaced the Throttle potentiometer valve and Accelerator pedal, and the following day the lights were back on again. The ABS light then came on.

I found that a clip had broken inside the engine compartment and the ABS cable was rubbing on a pulley wheel and had cut through most of the cable and was easily fixed.

I then was stunned to see the EMS light and engine block both go out on their own. So I put it in for MOT.

It failed as a Lower Suspension ball joint was worn and the brake pipes were corroded.

It was planned those repairs are being done today prior to re-test of MOT, but last night the EMS and Engine Block lights came back-on for no apparent reason.

I suspect there must be a loose connection somewhere or perhaps a worn cable as-in the ABS cable. Any comments or input would be welcome..

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello All,

My Cooper S is/was a Belter until a few niggles became major issues.

1st-of the Engine light and EMS light both came on. Using a Diagnostic Box it was the Throttle Potentiometer and Accelerator pedal.

Almost immediately, the traction control light came on as well as the run flat light.

I replaced the Throttle potentiometer valve and Accelerator pedal, and the following day the lights were back on again. The ABS light then came on.

I found that a clip had broken inside the engine compartment and the ABS cable was rubbing on a pulley wheel and had cut through most of the cable and was easily fixed.

I then was stunned to see the EMS light and engine block both go out on their own. So I put it in for MOT.

It failed as a Lower Suspension ball joint was worn and the brake pipes were corroded.

It was planned those repairs are being done today prior to re-test of MOT, but last night the EMS and Engine Block lights came back-on for no apparent reason.

I suspect there must be a loose connection somewhere or perhaps a worn cable as-in the ABS cable. Any comments or input would be welcome..
Did you ever resolve this issue ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.