MINI Cooper Forum banner

New JCW Mini Owner

870 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CARiD 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Great to join this forum and I'm happy I bought this Mini.

Mine is a white 2009 JCW Mini and I picked it up just a few days ago with 60,000 miles.

So far, this has been the best handling car I've ever owned (coming from a 1991 R32 GTR) but it does have a few quirks here and there.

I want to quickly ask for a suggestion on what you guys use for basic tuning / engine code checking / Data logging?

I am quite handy and would love to get down and dirty to do some tuning and fixing a few problems. Right now there is a check engine light and I find that the low end power is quite good but up top it seems to run out of air.

What do you guys recommend I get for pulling codes and general tuning work? I have seen some newer bluetooth based devices that does not need cables but I haven't played around with a modern car before so I need to get caught up.

Any suggestions please do not hesitate to throw my way. Love to meet you guys one day.

John

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i am also a new 2009 pepper white mini jcw owner. mine has 110,000 miles.

i have bought a universal obd2 blutooth adapter from ebay for like 12 bucks.
downloaded torque app on my android phone.
its the best i can do at the moment, im a little strapped for cash at present.
it allows me to data log, read most codes, and clear check engine light as well as reduced power modes.
my car developed the dreaded reduced power mode with no check engine light a few days after i bought it. havent sorted it out just yet.
am buying all the stuff to walnut blast the valves at home on wednesday.
other than that, ive just run a few tests to rule out some things that could cause it.
i think my turbo exhaust housing needs to be replaced....so i will just get a rebuilt hybrid turbo for that.
my cat converter is also partially plugging up so i just got a 3" downpipe to replace it.
i dont want to install it until i figure out the cause of the reduced power issue tho....as i will get a CEL from installing the downpipe.

am going to get a manic tune with the switch A.S.A.P.

welcome to mini ownership

#3 ·
Hi John and welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining us and showing your Mini - it looks beautiful. Plenty of knowledgeable and friendly folks here as well as informative and insightful discussion threads. You'll find just about anything you might have questions about there. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions at all, we are always happy to help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.