MINI Cooper Forum banner

New Mini Cooper S owner in Brisbane, Australia

697 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just joined the ranks yesterday, got me a red 2005 Cooper S with 138,000km on the clock. It looks very clean and drove very nicely when I took it for a spin. Very happy to have one of these as I have been fond of these cars for years! Anyhow, I only noticed today that when pressing the clutch in it makes a creaky/cranky kind of noise. After driving for 5 or 10 minutes the clutch feels a bit crunchy towards the end of the pedals travel. After doing some reading it sounds like this is the common throwout bearing problem. Im a little bummed out that I didn't notice this when I gave it a test drive. Does anyone know a good mechanic that can fix this in Brisbane? Thanks!

#2 ·
If you have a garage and are handy on the tools, you would save a small fortune doing it yourself. Replacing the thrust bearing alone might not be enough, you would want to inspect the pressure plate as a minimum and even consider a new clutch and pressure palte at the same time. Then there could also be the flywheel to consider.

Modmini on YouTube has a good video tutorial on replacing the clutch on a Gen 1 S.

Even if its just the thrust bearing, your also looking at replacing the guide tube.

Modmini also has a video on a Valeo Single mass conversion for the S.

James at masterparts.com.au can supply the Valeo clutch conversion for a good price (I have one installed) as well as the Thrust bearing guide tube (approx. $95.00).

To have a BMW dealership do the whole job, your looking from $4000 - $5000, no idea what it would cost to drop the gearbox and just supply the thrust bearing and guide tube but I wouldn't expect a lot of change from $2000.

If you are handy on the tools, look at the videos and study them, get a mate to help you. If you DIY and for example, do the thrust bearing and guide tube, Valeo single mass conversion and a few litres of new coolant, you should be able to get away with under $1100 and a busy weekend !

best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.