MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini newbie

636 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  JPJesty 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,

A great Forum,

I have decided to join now our mini has gone wrong !

I bought my wife a 2007 Cooper S with 48K, Laser blue JCW factory fitted bodykit, kickplates etc.
I has been moderatley chipped and drives perfectly, a proper quick overgrown kart we both love the thing to bits !!

It then started to cut on hard acceleration I researched here and had the inlet tract wall nut shelled, it was badly gummed up.

The car also showed a vamos fault which was cleared and after a long test drive stayed off.

The car was OK but never as good as when we first got it.

It then started to rattle on start up but would go away almost straight away.

The car is not used everyday and was sat about 10 days, I started it and the rattle did not go away so I switched it off.

Having read all of the timing chain trouble here I ordered a OE chain, latest tensioner and guides.

On removing the cam cover the no broken guides and chain looked fine so I changed the top guide and the tensioner.

On start up the noise was the same.

I got ****ed and pulled the engine and box, on stripping the engine the inlet valves have just kissed all four of the pistons. I presumed that the chain had jumped on start up causing the interference.

Now I have the engine out I could do with some much appreciated advice on the following items,

1 How does the timing work, could the problem have been caused by the variable/vamos unit ?

2 The inlet tract is getting gummed up again (the car has done 4k since being cleaned) is this caused by the fact that the motor is eating its own crankcase fumes with no fuel going down the inlet tract.
It is a small engine making good power so the crankcase must see quite a bit of pressure, can you remove the breathers and use an external catch tank ? If so what is the procedure ?
The intercooler also had about half a teacup of oil in it on removal, the turbo looks fine with very little float.

Lastly the flywheel has about 4mm of sideways play between the inner and outer there is no metal filings present is this normal ?

Help will be much appreciated.

Mega car let down by what seems to be a fragile motor.

JPJ

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.