MINI Cooper Forum banner

Saying Hello Soon to be JCW Owner

1K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  GrandmasterJ 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a 2009 JCW British Racing Green, black roof, black leather punch interior and upgraded mini hi fi system. Photos will follow when I have it.

I've asked the shop to transfer my plate onto the car prior to me picking it up so this could be a long wait. But I can't wait, I've wanted one of these for a while.

My plan at some point will be to upgrade the stereo. Out of curiosity how bad is the mini upgraded hi fi?

Any other things you suggest I should do with the car?

Thanks in advance for your replies

#2 ·
Hi and welcome.
Changing the stereo in the second gen Mini is near impossible
unless you have lots of money to spend as the stereo is integrated.
You can upgrade the speakers though.
Best to look on NewMiniStuff.com as Mikey does a lot of sound upgrades for the second gen Mini.
If you have a Harman Kardon system fitted it's a bit better than standard.

#3 ·
Spikeyadrian thanks for the reply.

I'll have a look at that stuff. I've also been told that the following would be the best way to go

10" slimline sub custom built into the side
Monblock amp
Audioson processor

I noticed an amp in the rear are the speakers that these power terrible?

I could at a later date change them too. However hiding amps etc in the mini is going to be hard as space is tight.

#4 ·
Hi,
Hiding amps is not as difficult as you might imagine.
Here are a few pictures of the HIFI system I fitted in my old R50.
I have fitted 3 Pioneer PRS-D800 amps & JL Audio stealth sub into the boot and I still have some space!
I now have a JCW R56 and I plan to improve the sound system in this too.

Attachments

#6 ·
The installation in my R50 took me a few weeks.
I had to remove the entire interior, I replaced the front speakers with Focal and the rear with Hertz.
I also added a CD changer.
In my new JCW I have the Harman Kardon system fitted and it sounds quite good in all honesty, although obviously not as good as the system in my R50!
My new JCW is all black.

#10 ·
I've fitted the JCW Carbon Fibre rear spoiler which looks amazing!
I had to buy it second hand as they only do the one with silver supports and end pieces now and I wanted the all Black version.
It was in perfect 'as new' condition, so I was very lucky to get hold of it.
I have also fitted the JCW Carbon Fibre bits to the interior too.
Dash panels, door pulls, gear knob and handbrake plus the Alcantara
gaiter's for both of those.
Oh yes, I nearly forgot, it has the factory fitted Recaro interior too! :D
I will post some pictures....when it stops raining!

#15 ·
Point taken about being stranded. Guess I'll have to see how it goes. This wait is killing me.

I dropped my new plates and certificate off today, I've even taxed it too. I'm waiting for the log book to come back in my name prior to me picking it up. Gone are the good old days when they had DVLA offices in your area.

#17 ·
Picked it up this weekend and although the tops and mid range is okay the standard speakers lack bass.
I just don't want to loose what little boot space it has.

What a car to drive hey?

How long are you letting the oil warm up in your's prior to you really using the turbo?

#18 ·
Maybe it would be good to invest in additional gauge kit with a Water Temp Gauge, where you can see that you reach app 80*C. So at that moment we can say that the engine had reached all operating parameters for normal operation and then you can hit pedal to the metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.