MINI Cooper Forum banner

Coolant fan runs all the time and 4 to 5 minutes after switching off.

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ggizmo 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum.
Searched for the answer everywhere.
I've just fitted a recon engine in my wife's mini. Replaced the thermostat housing and water pump.
It runs like a dream, except for the fact that the coolant fan comes on full blast when I switch on the ignition. Goes off after 4-5 minutes.
I've also got the engine management light on.
Can anyone help?

#3 ·
Getting a diagnostics on the EML light could point you in the right direction.

Who fit the engine for you? Can you not go back to them.

The fan normally turns on after you switch off the engine and then shuts off after like 3 minutes.

But for the fan to come on for you at ignition is definitely not right.

#4 ·
Again, depends on generation and model.

For R56 N18 MCS there was a thermostat sensor / ecu mismatch that caused issues and 'recalls'

You can get an OBDII reader and Torque Android app to diagnose the eml or get mugged by a dealer diagnosis. Perhaps a friend has one?

I agree that your fan shouldn't stay on unless you're crawling in traffic on a hot bank holiday or you've been using air-con...

Generally if you have an eml it might infer raised temp due to an air block in the cooling system.

Since all MINIs are blighters to bleed properly and you've had a new engine I wouldn't be surprised if there's coolant bleed stuff on your plate.

Let us know how it turn out...we can all learn from each other's symptoms.

#5 ·
She's a 2008 1.4 automatic. No air in the system.
I swapped the new temp sensor for the old one, and the fan didn't come on at all. It would have overheated if I left it in.
So, I've put the new one back in.
Ecu obviously thinks that the temp is high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.