MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 Cooper S Wheels & Tyres for Winter

8K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Windrestrictor 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am new to this. I have just bought a 2013 'Cooper S' as seen in attached photo. It runs Standard 17" rims. From my previous 2011 Mini Cooper I have a set of Pepper Pot alloys fitted with Winter Tyres 175/65/R15. I am sure I can fit them, i will try this weekend.

My Question is; is it Legal? Do I need to inform my Insurance provider?

Thanks,

Tom.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The 15" don't fit, Brakes are bigger. Looks like I will have to try and find some 16" wheels:(

If you have JCW Brakes the 16 inch wheels will not fit. You will need to go 17 inch and at least a 42 offset. Factory wheels are 48 offset for 17s and 52 for the 18s. Bear in mind that a minimum of 2.0mm clearance must be maintained between the wheel and caliper in all areas.

I borrowed this link from Caveman where you can see the size of the brake disc:
http://minicooper.wikia.com/wiki/Wheel_and_Tire_Fitment_Considerations#Brake_Size

So take the measures of your brake disc and compare :)

#6 ·
Hi
If the wheels tyres are not the original size from vehicle registration,you must inform
the insurance company of change, if not any vehicle accident you may have will go against
you're claims vice versa. It may not happen but be safe be sure,
also why not purchase winter tyres for your original wheel size.
But they do say smaller wheel size with winter tyres is best
Especially for snow grip, good luck,
Kind regards phill

#7 ·
If what you're saying is correct, then this only applies for UK. Because in CH we have a factory homologation sticker from BMW on the driver's side with allowed size of wheels and tires for our R56 LCI MSD we have from 16 to 18 inch. wheels. The MOT and insurance only checks whether wheels and tires correspond to the homologation of vehicle (the SD is homologated for wheels from 16 to 18 inch.). So we do not have such problems as you in the UK with insurance and MOT :aargh::aargh::crying::big_grin:

#8 ·
Hi
Yes I have two coopers my cooper D are 17 inch my cooper SD are 17 as well if we had
factory homologation stickers fitted we wouldn't be having this conversation also
It was only stated as a precaution, unless you're scrutinised by the Law,
Have a nice day my friend enjoy your sticker.
Kind regards phill,

#9 ·
Thanks for the Info Gents, I don't think the JCW brakes are fitted but I will measure just to be sure. I would rather fit 16 with Winter tyres for compliance, The 17's with run flat tyres are very harsh ride especially since I am living in the Yorkshire Dales.

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Tom.

#10 ·
You don't need an et42, as even with the JCW brakes on an R56 (which are fixed alloy not floating steel) the wheels in standard 17" are an et48 offset, and they will fit just dependent on 'style' not offset. I can get some Flame style (r97 I think) for instance, 1 set, new with winter tyres (rft) which if I recall are one of the styles that fit over the big brakes, I know there were some steel with winters too, but I think 15's, four sets, and pretty sure there were R112's (with summers though), in black and silver, plus the original 8 spoke with summers. Might have the flames myself as about to fit the bigger R56S JCW Brembo's on my R53. Maybe with some summer/R112's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.