MINI Cooper Forum banner

Pirate 14 & the 007 Mini Coopers S

703 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Windrestrictor 
#1 ·
A month in with my (new to me) 60k mile MCS. Loss of power and misfires tales of woe.

Bought from independent dealer who had paperwork for a decoke, new timing chain and a new turbo. 200 miles of OK use then began to detect Laggy acceleration and a loss of power event that required an RAC visit. He diagnosed a misfire in cylinder 4 so replaced the coil pack that showed signs of corrosion. Got a new set of plugs online and was driving to Halfords for the correct socket to replace the plugs and got another loss of power and got RAC to tow us to a mini dealer.

Pulled the plugs and cylinder 4 plug was so burned out the centre insulator was loose and up against the outer collector.

£140 checkout with mini dealer shows "no faults" and lousy pictures of intake they interpret to show it was decoked. Could not replicate laggy acceleration. Watching carefully it is a turbo type coughing at ~3,500rpm. I've read heaps on the interwebs on misfires and carbonisation etcetc.

I found BMW TSB :

2007 Mini Cooper Electrical System Service Bulletin 317904

Action Number: 10040855
Service Bulletin Number: 317904Report Date: Jul 01, 2011
Component: Electrical System
Summary: Bmw: a software error is causing a hesitation or jerking when accelerating under higher loads between 3000 ¿ 4000 rpm. *rm

I have contacted the dealer with that reference and will post developments.

Nice little runner when it does go.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.