New here - MINI Cooper Forum

Welcome New Members New members, please introduce yourself here. Tell us a bit about you and your Mini.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By MisterLeroy
  • 1 Post By nanotech
  • 1 Post By Akkip
  • 1 Post By Milpol

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Garage
United-Kingdom New here

Hey all,

Noobie here, I did pop in last week to ask a question about my rear wiper! I see I got an answer but I can't find the thread to thank the user :3

I work in the video game business, now for a small indi developer but formerly for one of the big names.

Always been a mini fan from the day I got my drivers license. Born in '84 my first car was a 1977 Austin Mini 1000 in.. well, traffic cone orange. It was an auto.

It was horrible. A year later she went in for her MOT and was condemned.

Fast forward 15 years, I picked up this Cooper S in racing green. Looks a bit like my avatar I suppose..! It's a 2002 (Gen 1) R53.

No frills, no fancy, just stock.

Thanks for having me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 10:49 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Norway Male

Heey! Welcome to Mini2
As an R53 owner myself i'm always thrilled to talk to other people that is keeping this family of car owners alive!
Stock is a good way to get a feeling for what you want to improve, i still can't get enough of the supercharger whine and the pull this little car can deliver, it is truly driving in its purest form!

After some searching i was able to locate your other post, it can be found here: mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/323881-rear-wiper-not-sitting-flush-not-enough-pressure.html

You can do this by googling your username, but specify to the search engine which site you want the results to be from, in this case it would be "MisterLeroy site:mini2.com", try it yourself

Hope to see you around, cheers!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akkip For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Garage
Thanks Akkip! Good tip! I tried the built in search but no luck, I even clicked the button to show me my posts/threads but it doesn't work.

My first port of call is to tick off my list of little niggles I have, such as the interior light being quirky, sag in the sunroof blind and the passenger door brake making a honking great grinding noise. =)

Then I might look in to extras, I just wouldn't know where to start!
Akkip likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 12:06 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Norway Male

Is your interior light the kind with a single middle bulb and two outer switchable ones, or the one where the outside ones are blinded and the middle is the only one with a light in it?

As for the brakes that sounds to me like either you have worn pads and the metal backplate is scraping on the discs (urgent fix) or you have some other issue relating to wheel bearings or similar..

Extras is really what you feel you need, is it power? handling? looks? You got to start somewhere, and there is no definitive answers to where the best place to start is.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkip View Post
Is your interior light the kind with a single middle bulb and two outer switchable ones, or the one where the outside ones are blinded and the middle is the only one with a light in it?
forum/first-generation-interior-ice/324306-interior-light-panel-query.html

Here's the breakdown, it's the one where there is only a middle light (but I am looking to use the facelift panel with the additional lights in).

Quote:
As for the brakes that sounds to me like either you have worn pads and the metal backplate is scraping on the discs (urgent fix) or you have some other issue relating to wheel bearings or similar..
I think we crossed wires here, the door brake being the little arm that holds the door open at certain increments to stop it closing on yourself or swinging out too far in the wind. I think it just needs refurbishment (no drama, not the actual brakes!).

Quote:
Extras is really what you feel you need, is it power? handling? looks? You got to start somewhere, and there is no definitive answers to where the best place to start is.
It's a great example of a 1st gen, the body work is immaculate and the interior isn't too bad either so I'm not looking to do too much in terms of looks. I've thought about adding spots to the grill but am concerned with the hardness of the ride that they would ultimately fall off! I also don't want to make it look like a sheep in wolfs clothing, so I wouldn't look to add things from higher spec minis to make it appear to be something it isn't (if you follow? ).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 12:54 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Norway Male

[QUOTE=MisterLeroy;4348618]forum/first-generation-interior-ice/324306-interior-light-panel-query.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLeroy View Post
Here's the breakdown, it's the one where there is only a middle light (but I am looking to use the facelift panel with the additional lights in).
Right! My 04 MSC has the light with three bulbs in it, and i think there should be all the wires you need for it already, it's only two extra bulbs so, check if they are blown or not.

Quote:
I think we crossed wires here, the door brake being the little arm that holds the door open at certain increments to stop it closing on yourself or swinging out too far in the wind. I think it just needs refurbishment (no drama, not the actual brakes!).
Ahh i see! Bit too quick on the trigger there then :L
It is probably something you could get off ebay or a donor car, it usually happens when people slam their door (especially passengers)

Quote:
It's a great example of a 1st gen, the body work is immaculate and the interior isn't too bad either so I'm not looking to do too much in terms of looks. I've thought about adding spots to the grill but am concerned with the hardness of the ride that they would ultimately fall off! I also don't want to make it look like a sheep in wolfs clothing, so I wouldn't look to add things from higher spec minis to make it appear to be something it isn't (if you follow? ).
I do indeed! I like to keep mine understated, a bit of a sleeper if you want. It's been debadged in the rear, so unless you knew what the twin exhaust ment you would not know what you were coming up on
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 06:17 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Belgium Male

Garage
Quote:
i still can't get enough of the supercharger whine and the pull this little car can deliver, it is truly driving in its purest form!

Coming from 2 cars with a turbo these superchargers are awesome. Indeed they pull directly from the start, that's nuts. Don't know why they ditch the superchargers for turbo's. (I kinda do, but they could stick with a different manufacture imho)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Milpol likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Garage
[QUOTE=Akkip;4348626]
Quote:
Right! My 04 MSC has the light with three bulbs in it, and i think there should be all the wires you need for it already, it's only two extra bulbs so, check if they are blown or not.
I replaced the bulbs but still no joy. It's a big ask but could you take a snap of the plug that goes in the back of your interior light?.. you can tell me to Eff Right Off! Mine has three wires only going in to the block that connects with the lighting panel - 6, 4 and 1. I've a suspicion the facelift has more wiring, rendering my new lighting panel useless!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 03:27 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Norway Male

[QUOTE=MisterLeroy;4348930]
Quote:
I replaced the bulbs but still no joy. It's a big ask but could you take a snap of the plug that goes in the back of your interior light?.. you can tell me to Eff Right Off! Mine has three wires only going in to the block that connects with the lighting panel - 6, 4 and 1. I've a suspicion the facelift has more wiring, rendering my new lighting panel useless!
Sure thing mate, i'll have a look into it and snap some pictures for you
Milpol likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Garage
[QUOTE=Akkip;4348946]
Quote:

Sure thing mate, i'll have a look into it and snap some pictures for you
Man you're the hero of Norway! No pressure, I would be hesitant to unscrew parts of my mini for a stranger on the internet, I felt disgraced just asking..

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 10:37 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:23 AM
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)

Australia Male

Garage
Quote:
the passenger door brake making a honking great grinding noise. =)
Not sure what you have where you live but I just sprayed all the pivot points with white lithium grease and its been a smooth as silk and quiet as the grave since. You may find you don't need to replace it, just lubricate it.

Things to consider if this is a new purchase for you, change the gearbox oil, flush the brake fluids, change the coolant, change the Super Charger oil and of course, change the engine oil and all filters and the serpentine belt.

All the best
SeanC likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Garage
Just for the laugh I'll share my weekend. When I was replacing my headlight bulbs last evening (along side checking out that interior light) I left the headlights on.

All night. By accident of course.

Woke up this morning to a car alarm. This was the conversation:

"Would that ****er please see to their car, its been going on for hours" say I.

"I hope it's not mine!" says GF.

"I don't have an alarm, hah!" I snort.

Turns out I do. Also a flat battery.

Charged the battery but now the passenger window wont budge. I've angered the beast
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 10:14 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Just for the laugh I'll share my weekend. When I was replacing my headlight bulbs last evening (along side checking out that interior light) I left the headlights on.

All night. By accident of course.

Woke up this morning to a car alarm. This was the conversation:

"Would that ****er please see to their car, its been going on for hours" say I.

"I hope it's not mine!" says GF.

"I don't have an alarm, hah!" I snort.

Turns out I do. Also a flat battery.

Charged the battery but now the passenger window wont budge. I've angered the beast
I found out I had an alarm when I left the dog in the car while I went into the shop 😂
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 11:16 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachdriver View Post
I found out I had an alarm when I left the dog in the car while I went into the shop 😂
My wife discovered this when she left our daughter in the car playing her game thingie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.