MINI Cooper Forum banner

New here

968 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Noobie here, I did pop in last week to ask a question about my rear wiper! I see I got an answer but I can't find the thread to thank the user :3

I work in the video game business, now for a small indi developer but formerly for one of the big names.

Always been a mini fan from the day I got my drivers license. Born in '84 my first car was a 1977 Austin Mini 1000 in.. well, traffic cone orange. It was an auto.

It was horrible. A year later she went in for her MOT and was condemned.

Fast forward 15 years, I picked up this Cooper S in racing green. Looks a bit like my avatar I suppose..! It's a 2002 (Gen 1) R53.

No frills, no fancy, just stock.

Thanks for having me.

#2 ·
Heey! Welcome to Mini2
As an R53 owner myself i'm always thrilled to talk to other people that is keeping this family of car owners alive!
Stock is a good way to get a feeling for what you want to improve, i still can't get enough of the supercharger whine and the pull this little car can deliver, it is truly driving in its purest form!

After some searching i was able to locate your other post, it can be found here: mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/323881-rear-wiper-not-sitting-flush-not-enough-pressure.html

You can do this by googling your username, but specify to the search engine which site you want the results to be from, in this case it would be "MisterLeroy site:mini2.com", try it yourself :D

Hope to see you around, cheers!

#7 ·
i still can't get enough of the supercharger whine and the pull this little car can deliver, it is truly driving in its purest form!

Coming from 2 cars with a turbo these superchargers are awesome. Indeed they pull directly from the start, that's nuts. Don't know why they ditch the superchargers for turbo's. (I kinda do, but they could stick with a different manufacture imho)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks Akkip! Good tip! I tried the built in search but no luck, I even clicked the button to show me my posts/threads but it doesn't work. :)

My first port of call is to tick off my list of little niggles I have, such as the interior light being quirky, sag in the sunroof blind and the passenger door brake making a honking great grinding noise. =)

Then I might look in to extras, I just wouldn't know where to start!

#11 ·
the passenger door brake making a honking great grinding noise. =)
Not sure what you have where you live but I just sprayed all the pivot points with white lithium grease and its been a smooth as silk and quiet as the grave since. You may find you don't need to replace it, just lubricate it.

Things to consider if this is a new purchase for you, change the gearbox oil, flush the brake fluids, change the coolant, change the Super Charger oil and of course, change the engine oil and all filters and the serpentine belt.

All the best :)

#4 ·
Is your interior light the kind with a single middle bulb and two outer switchable ones, or the one where the outside ones are blinded and the middle is the only one with a light in it?

As for the brakes that sounds to me like either you have worn pads and the metal backplate is scraping on the discs (urgent fix) or you have some other issue relating to wheel bearings or similar..

Extras is really what you feel you need, is it power? handling? looks? You got to start somewhere, and there is no definitive answers to where the best place to start is.
:)

#5 ·
Is your interior light the kind with a single middle bulb and two outer switchable ones, or the one where the outside ones are blinded and the middle is the only one with a light in it?
forum/first-generation-interior-ice/324306-interior-light-panel-query.html

Here's the breakdown, it's the one where there is only a middle light (but I am looking to use the facelift panel with the additional lights in).

As for the brakes that sounds to me like either you have worn pads and the metal backplate is scraping on the discs (urgent fix) or you have some other issue relating to wheel bearings or similar..
I think we crossed wires here, the door brake being the little arm that holds the door open at certain increments to stop it closing on yourself or swinging out too far in the wind. I think it just needs refurbishment (no drama, not the actual brakes!).

Extras is really what you feel you need, is it power? handling? looks? You got to start somewhere, and there is no definitive answers to where the best place to start is.
:)
It's a great example of a 1st gen, the body work is immaculate and the interior isn't too bad either so I'm not looking to do too much in terms of looks. I've thought about adding spots to the grill but am concerned with the hardness of the ride that they would ultimately fall off! I also don't want to make it look like a sheep in wolfs clothing, so I wouldn't look to add things from higher spec minis to make it appear to be something it isn't (if you follow? :D).

#12 ·
Just for the laugh I'll share my weekend. When I was replacing my headlight bulbs last evening (along side checking out that interior light) I left the headlights on.

All night. By accident of course.

Woke up this morning to a car alarm. This was the conversation:

"Would that ****er please see to their car, its been going on for hours" say I.

"I hope it's not mine!" says GF.

"I don't have an alarm, hah!" I snort.

Turns out I do. Also a flat battery.

Charged the battery but now the passenger window wont budge. I've angered the beast :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.