MINI Cooper Forum banner

My first post. Body Control Unit

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  chilli-red 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a Mini cooper 2003 with 50000 on the clock. I have a problem with the remotes in that they don't work. I took them to a locksmith with the ability to code keys to the body control unit as I had the bar codes with them. However the unit was not working correctly as it would not add keys or delete them. Managed to get one key logged but no joy in working. Did some reading and found the body control units are suspect if wet so checked mine and sure enough the floor pan was very wet. the terminals in the white connector are very badly corroded. I am hoping I found the leak as the plastic sill had a hole on it. Anyway what I want to know is can I buy another body control unit second hand and re load the keys. Do I need a car that has the same spec ie roof spot lights air con etc or will it all work. Can I get it programmed for my car if not and where is a good place that can do it cheaply. I am south east Bromley. Dose this unit hold the mileage info and so even if it works I will still need this to be programmed in as I have FSH and mots etc. Many thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The bcu is very sensitive to moisture.

Your car has the pano roof so I would inspect the seal for cracks or hardness & the drainage pipes should be checked to see if they are blocked.

Most bcm issues are associated with the sunroof models unfortunately.

A new bcm can be supplied programmed and fitted by a dealer BUT you won't get much change out of £500 [emoji15]

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The sunroof isn't working and so assumed it was the BSM unit causing that. I have checked the drain pipe is connected OK but looks like I need to manually open the roof and check it out properly. The air con has just stopped working and the remotes not working. I can live with that as long as nothing gets worse but I am happy to try to fix myself with salvaged parts if possible and wondered if any one has solved this problem themselves and what might be involved. I know it is a very common problem and cannot believe many people would lay out £500 on a car this old.

#6 ·
Checked the sunroof out today and found the outer seal to be very poor. Appears to have shrunk and sunken down. I have bought some black silicon bathroom sealer and and removed the rubber from its slot. laid silicon onto the rubber location and packed the rubber seal into its proper upper position with news paper. Then sealed around the top top of the rubber to the roof. This will stop the rain getting in until I can find the proper rubber seal. Unfortunately the only one I can find is for the later model and so still looking. I want to find new rubber strip and not secondhand as I an sure it will be in the same state. I don't want to take the hole pano roof out and so I will have to cut it at the rear fixed sunroof. Any tips or advice would be great. Actually looks great but I know it is only temporary. PS I recommend all owners of an early mini with Pano sunroof double check as if the carpet gets wet you will have a damaged body control unit which will be my next job once this leak is fixed.

#7 ·
this is the serial number for the sunroof gasket 54107039721 from what i've seen its not available online in the uk.

However you could take the serial number to your nearest cotswold mini dealer to see if they have one in stock ::smile::

another alternative is to find a pano mini in the scrappers and take the whole assembly or just the gasket if you can. :serious:::smile::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.